Parents Reality check!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

DD's meet this past weekend was a toughie! Her three meets prior to this one were smaller and much less competitive, so she'd been placing pretty high in the events & AA lineups. I'm glad she had that experience, b/c she had fun, and it really boosted her confidence.

However, this last meet (which IS her last one before L6 States in 4 weeks) she was up against some really tough teams...

Vault: Another beautiful vault (9.675/3rd). The top vault score was 9.85!:eek:

Bars: Didn't connect the first 1/2 of the routine, didn't cast high enough. (7.75/10th).

Beam: One of her better routines overall, despite a huge wobble. Almost fell off, but had a nice save! (8.9/6th)

Floor: Nice routine, IMO a bit improved from last week. (8.6/9th).

AA: 34.925/9th...out of 11 :eek:

It was good for her to be up against these girls, I think it's given her a more realistic idea of what States will be like.

She is still/has been insisting all season that she wants to repeat L6 again next year. Main reason being that her best buds will move up to L6 & she can be w/ them & have a fun season. I am surprisingly really ok w/ this (I have to be, it's her sport!). Next year there will be more of them on L6 and the comps will be more fun w/ a bigger group.

At our last gym, I was always so anxious, b/c it was much more competitive, and moving up was always a big, anxiety-producing event that lasted for several months. Now we can both relax & just enjoy the ride. With States this year, we'll be more able to enjoy ourselves, since her performance won't affect whether she moves up or not.

So that's my long & boring story. Thanks, I always need to unload/de-compress to someone else who 'gets' all this!

Hope you're all well! ;)

OMG :eek: 9.675 on vault and she wasn't first, at that point they should just give her a 10.

Still sounds as though she had very respectable scores and she knows where she lost ground. She has much to be proud of with that AA scote.

I was just realising that you all compete against different teams all the time. in our three meets we all compete against the same girls at every meet. So we get to know them quite well, and of course basically the same girls win, and lose, all the time. I hadn't really got that until you posted this meet report.

Thanks for opening my eyes a little wider!!!

It sounds like you have an extremely level headed dd. Realizing having fun and enjoying gymnastics is more important than moving up is great - even though it sounds like she would do great as a level 7. Sometimes I wish my dd could just chill out and roll with things more - she has always been my high maintenance child :cool:.

And I agree with bog - I can't believe she didn't take first on vault with that score - that is just crazy!!!

I was just realising that you all compete against different teams all the time.

Yeah, we've maybe seen a few teams twice, but mostly, it's new gals every time. Good experience, I think, for dd to see many different gyms & the way they operate.

Back in CA, everyone stayed at their Level for the whole season. Here, we have seen lots of girls (esp. at L6) going to meets simply to 'test out' of their level and move up to L7. So it's always a mixed bag. :cool:

Sounds like Vault is her thing!

We switched gyms this year and DD would have been a 6 at old gym, but is a 5 again this year (scored high 34 by states last year). She really wanted to compete 6, but new coach wanted her to work on flexability some. I must say that with staying back, I have see such a change in her confidence in herself. I think feeling less pressure has been great for her. I think seeing that change inside and outside the gym, it is better for her. She is not putting any expectations on herself for the meet season either, which is great. She is learning to just enjoy what she can do and try to do her best. I agree as a parent it's easy to get caught up in the whole move-up game. I'm learning it doesn't matter and I think she feels that too.

I bet being with friends will be great for your daughter. Good luck to her at states!

It sounds like you have an extremely level headed dd. Realizing having fun and enjoying gymnastics is more important than moving up is great - even though it sounds like she would do great as a level 7.
And I agree with bog - I can't believe she didn't take first on vault with that score - that is just crazy!!!

Thanks! I kind of wonder now, though, how well she truly would do at L7, mostly due to the fact that she is still behind in L6 w/ her bars. At least now she has more time to work on those bar skills!

Thanks also, bog & flippymonkeysmom for the encouragement on Vault. DD was kind of mad about it-she had placed first on vault at every meet except her first meet, so I think she was a bit shocked that her score did not fetch 1st place! But like I said, the girls on that fancy-pants team were pretty darn amazing! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Vault is her thing!

We switched gyms this year and DD would have been a 6 at old gym, but is a 5 again this year (scored high 34 by states last year). She really wanted to compete 6, but new coach wanted her to work on flexability some. I must say that with staying back, I have see such a change in her confidence in herself. I think feeling less pressure has been great for her. I think seeing that change inside and outside the gym, it is better for her. She is not putting any expectations on herself for the meet season either, which is great. She is learning to just enjoy what she can do and try to do her best. I agree as a parent it's easy to get caught up in the whole move-up game. I'm learning it doesn't matter and I think she feels that too.

I bet being with friends will be great for your daughter. Good luck to her at states!
My dd did a 2nd year L5 last year also, after she moved to a new gym. Many of her former teammates from the gym she left scoffed at her being held back. But she had such a fun season! Like you said, her confidence went thru the roof, and that helped her enjoy her sport so much more! It's nice sometimes, to feel confident at your level, instead of always struggling from behind!

It sounds like your dd knows what is best for her - repeat level 6 and work on her weaker stuff while being with her friends more. Sounds like she will have an amazing season next time - more fun, more confidence, more success! She will then go into level 7 in a better place too (and hopefully with some of those friends)

Well done! Super vault score.

9.675! Wow what a great score! Are you sure they didn't mistake your DD for first?;) My DD actually wanted to repeat 6 again because of her friends. They said no and she had to move up:( What a fancy team she was up against!:eek:

Isn't it weird how placings can change just by which gyms are at the meet. Abby's first meet had 3 teams where their girls were all getting mostly 9s. Yikes.

Her vault score was amazing. I saw how tough they were at a L6 meet, it seems to be a tough level.

I think doing another season at L6 will be good for her. I agree it is awesome that she is fine with staying a L6 and really having fun. She will be able to work on her L7 skills and not have too much pressure with meets, etc.

Hope she has fun at States. :)

9.675! Wow what a great score! Are you sure they didn't mistake your DD for first?;) My DD actually wanted to repeat 6 again because of her friends. They said no and she had to move up:( What a fancy team she was up against!:eek:
Thanks!

Yeah, I don't know if her coach will go for it or not (her staying back) but I am guessing he'll be fine w/ it, given that she has struggled w/ at least one event all season.

Sounds like she had another good meet.She is going to do awesome @state.How about the other girls from her gym did they get the scores that they were needing?

Sounds like she had another good meet.She is going to do awesome @state.How about the other girls from her gym did they get the scores that they were needing?
Thank you, gym mom!

And thanks for asking about the other girls. I don't think the verdict is formally in yet...a few girls did not get their needed scores. But dd said that Monday nite, HC told them he was sending them all, anyway.

But then last night, HC was gone, and another coach was grumping at them all for not trying hard enough. So he brought the gym owner over to them all & said, "she's going to be watching you over the next few days, to see if you should go to States". So, hmmmm, we shall see. I'll let you know the final verdict is in!

Personally, I think that particular coach was just trying to get them to keep their focus. States is one month away, and the girls were probably goofing off a bit. They are also getting all wiggly & distracted about their Prep-Op season. I think this coach wants to light a fire under them & make sure they finish their season as strong as possible before they move their focus & energy to Prep-Op...

It sounds like they all hopefully are going to states, that great!I can always see a big difference in our coaches the month before states my dd said that her coach was yelling at her @ her last practice which her coach is pretty mellow until states come around.

It sounds like they all hopefully are going to states, that great!I can always see a big difference in our coaches the month before states my dd said that her coach was yelling at her @ her last practice which her coach is pretty mellow until states come around.
Yeah, dd knows the drill after 4 years in the sport as well. It doesn't really phase her too much, unless someone is being really mean to her directly. But she is very familiar w/ "Coach's- States-anxiety disorder!"

Still don't know the final verdict about everyone else, yesterday was Wednesday, & it has now been declared "Prep-Op Day". So now they are giving them one day a week to focus on Prep-op and the rest of the week to focus on States.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back