Parents Reasons we're in gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

klv8

Proud Parent
A friend and I were just talking about all the reasons we have our kids in sports. We see the benefits outside of the sport/skills themselves. Things like:

-- confidence
-- the great discussions we have about not comparing ourselves to (insert name) who already has (insert skill.)
-- learning to not let nerves get in the way of doing something we love.
-- learning to give 100% even if no one else is.
-- determination, listening skills, working through fear............

This was a short part of the list, and most of you have been involved in this much longer than we have! I'd love to hear what you would add to the list!

my kid is in it b/c 1) she loves the sport and 2) her gym is right around the corner from my house. it's convenient for *me*. ditto for my oldest who does dance. both dance and gym are in a one mile circle from my house. we could walk to either if the car broke down. so there's that.

plus, who needs a family vacation in hawaii for 2 weeks? i love being stressed out every other week for a several month period. my hair stylist especially likes it b/c i now need more visits to keep up with the new gray hairs. :p

silliness aside - my gymmie is type A anyway. she's very meticulous at school and i never ask her about her projects or reports b/c she keeps up with the deadlines herself. i joke i wish she was as meticulous at the gym as at school! she has learned to get back up when she falls and keep on going. and to make goals and work towards them. work through her fears. encourage teammates. not be jealous when someone else gets a skill first she is trying to get - although this is just natural for her. thankfully. she focuses on herself and is happy when she sees her teammates achieve their goals. whether she makes it to college or not as a gymnast, this is a great sport to be involved in. as long as they are happy and healthy.

Our initial reasons for starting were mostly just to have an activity outside of the house in the winter months, and to give my daughter some confidence. I had no idea how much she would love the sport, or how many other benefits we would see from it. I'm going to add PATIENCE to my list. Being willing to work diligently on the skills you need NOW, instead of always looking ahead and feeling discontent because you aren't doing THOSE skills yet. If that makes sense. It's a frequent conversation at our house!

A friend and I were just talking about all the reasons we have our kids in sports. We see the benefits outside of the sport/skills themselves. Things like:

-- confidence
-- the great discussions we have about not comparing ourselves to (insert name) who already has (insert skill.)
-- learning to not let nerves get in the way of doing something we love.
-- learning to give 100% even if no one else is.
-- determination, listening skills, working through fear............

This was a short part of the list, and most of you have been involved in this much longer than we have! I'd love to hear what you would add to the list!

Discipline, but not just in the gym. Learning that she has to get her homework done and done well, in a short amount of time. Her time management skills and executive functioning are through the roof. Along with the resiliency, this will serve her the rest of her life, even if she leaves the sport tomorrow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back