Coaches Rec Games

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am looking for some new games that could be used for various rec classes (starting from preschool all the way up to the older kids who are in the gym just for fun). I like to try to work some skills into games and disguise the conditioning by making it fun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if you could specify which age range works best for it that would also be great!

One of my newest games, is called the " Drop of Death. " I tell the boys that they very well could die if you we play it high enough.

It uses depth drops. Basically a jump from a height and sticking it. Feet together, chest up, hands can't touch floor, butt can't touch heels.

This is a basic skill for beginning plyometrics. It's also pretty fun.

However, as you build it higher, you need to build sort of a side station to help get in top. Well, at least when I do them for my conditioning. So far, the highest I've built it for myself is 7 or 8 feet. Kind of a pain to get up there.

For the boys, I use 6 layer/sided panel mat stacks for each level. Generally we start on a P-block turned on it's side. Highest so far we've gone is equal to their body height ( about 4 - 4 1/2 feet ).

Another of course is " Torture the Teacher " as in torturing me. Generally I will pick out a skill like pullups or pushups or v-ups.

As a group they will challenge me 1 on 1 in succession. Many times they will game it so the strongest kid goes last. The object of course is to beat me in a round so I fail. Typically I will make a prize like we go to trampoline for 10 minutes or maybe 5-10 minutes of free time.

Another version is that they all do the said skill and I have to beat it in one round.

Don't do this with leg stuff. One time I did it with jumping squats and my legs were pretty non functional for about 2-3 weeks besides severly crushing my workout ability. With upper body movements, failure or high reps isn't bad typically.

I've done something similar to your "drop of death", although your name for it is definitely cooler than mine!

I am a big fan of the front tuck game. Continually stacking mats up to see who can do their front tuck up onto them. The longer the game goes, the higher the mats.

Along the same lines, I like to play a game "punch front to stick". I use this in place of strength training at the end of practice. Basically we do a punch front, to stick. No stick, means 10 pushups. This is played rather quickly. My L5s and L6s love this game, especially when I play with them.

Other challenges like handstand walks and obstacle courses are popular, with my L6s and up.

All my guys like playing "bridge wars". Basically, everyone walks around in a bridge trying to cause the other gymnasts to fall. This is typically done by pulling out an arm or a leg.

Yeah, I saw the rec girls playing that one the other day and thought one cheated when she pulled another girl's arm.

A fun one once your kids are proficient at walking in HS, is Handstand wars. Kick to Handstand, walk around, kick other people out of HS while they walk.

We do the "handstand wars" once in a while too, but we allow grabbing. It helps with balance, and if you can hold a 1 arm long enough to pull someone out of a handstand more power to you!

One of the games I like to do with competitive or upper level rec kids is the handstand circle. Half the gymnasts stand in a smallish circle, with the other half of the gymnasts in a larger circle, paired with a gymnast in the inner circle. The gymnasts in the inner circle kick up to handstand, and the gymnasts in the outer circle can help their partner balance by holding their legs. When you call "switch" the gymnasts in the outer circle rotate in one direction, to help the next inner circle gymnast holding handstand. This way, their handstands get stronger, and they learn to balance on their own, although they can still get some help.

However, if the outer gymnast tries to "switch" too quickly, they will likely push their partner over. I usually make some penalty for gymnasts who fall, like holding a push-up shape, but this would depend on the group of kids.

At the end, of course, you switch the inner and outer circle so everyone holds handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back