WAG Recommendation of changes to USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw this email. Looking forward to reading through it all!

That's a lot of pages for them to have gym parents look through. How much time to they think we have!?!

I miss cliffs notes :)

I saw this email. Looking forward to reading through it all!

That's a lot of pages for them to have gym parents look through. How much time to they think we have!?!

I miss cliffs notes :)

Haha!

Well I am sure it is not aimed at gym parents, though I do think every gym parent should read it as many gyms communicate so poorly.

Some good recommendations for the Nat training centre.

I started reading the portions about the Ranch and it seems so barbaric that they didn't have some of these policies in place already....I mean no cell phone service???

I knew this place was kinda in the middle of nowhere but holy Moses!

I agree the NTTC should be somewhere less remote, and a shuttle for transportation seems like a great idea. They also should have lodging for parents on site with the option of the younger gymnasts being allowed to stay with their parents if the parents want.

No non-related adult should ever be alone with a minor, that is definitely be a hard and fast rule.

Better and REQUIRED background checks NEED to happen. I also feel like there should be some sort of approval process done through USAG for any coaches or other staff (ie doctors) done for the NTTC and all USAG affiliated gyms.

This audit/policy whatever it is, while long, is necessary, and WAY overdue.

Recommendations list was helpful.

List: https://usagym.org/pages/aboutus/pages/recommendations.html

Some of my favorites from the list:

· “USA Gymnastics needs to undergo a complete cultural change, permeating the entire organization and communicated to the field in all its actions.”

· “The culture that needs to be adopted is that USA Gymnastics’ top priority is the safety and well-being of its athletes, not just their success on the field of play.”

· “Permit Third-Party Reporting of Policy Violations and Abuse to USA Gymnastics by Third Parties”

· “Remove President from Controlling Role in Determining Disposition of Allegations”

Disappointed that this one:
· “Provide Athletes with a Reliable and Accessible Way to Call Home/Parents”
was not expanded to address / allow parents to have in-person access to their children at training camps.

Also, disappointed that while recommendations include talking to athletes and coaches in various ways, and some talking to parents, there is very little written here on how USAG is planning on listening to parents and athletes on an ongoing basis. Listening is critical for sustained progress.

If it is our children that are being protected, then moving forward there should be clear pathways established for USAG to listen and receive feedback and information from both parents and athletes.

Remove President from Controlling Role in Determining Disposition of Allegations!!!!

This. This times 10000. This one is so so so perfect and important.

background checks mean nothing , Larry , Marvin and Don all had clearance. Talk to your kids folks !
I guess by this I mean stronger restrictions on what passes a background check. And this wasn't in reference to Nassar particularly.
We have a gym in the area that employed a coach who recently was arrested for sexual assault charges (outside the gym) he is no longer employed of course. The coach however had a criminal record that included violence, and he was hired anyway. This put gymnasts at risk...so there should be stricter (and clear) guidelines on what passes on a background check and what does not.

Talking to your kids and keeping an open line of communication is of course always important and necessary, couldn't agree with you more!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back