Parents Recording your own child at the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
I'm wondering what policies different gyms have about recording or taking pictures of your own child at the gym.

I don't think my dd's gym allows it unless she has a private but I've never asked.

We have no actual policy. We can view practice at any time/record/whatever. However, the view from the lobby is really quite awful, and the only event that can be seen well is bars.

I've never thought of this before. There's a viewing area at DD's gym. The view isn't great but I have on rare occasion recorded when I happen to be in the gym and DD is working a new skill. Parents aren't allowed in the actual gym so I can't go out and record from a better vantage point.

Agreed. We can video anything we want from the viewing area during practice, but it's probably not a great recording. During a private we can be out on the gym floor.

Every gym we’ve been associated with..

Gym 1: record from the balcony as you wished

Gym 2: no parent viewing and therefore no pics/video

Gym 3: no pics/video allowed for the privacy of other gymnasts

Gym 4: no pics/video allowed except privates and choreography

Gym 5: no parental viewing but coaches regularly videod and sent to parents

Gym 6: pics/video were really common

Gym 7: pics/video really common

Gym 8: not allowed except privates

Gym 9: allowed from balcony

Gym 10: not allowed

Gym 11: I actually don’t know their official policy yet..but I’ve taken photos and my DD sends me videos

No photos or videos allowed at our gym. I would probably say that if your gym doesn't have flyers posted in their viewing area stating NO PHOTOS/VIDEO, they probably aren't too concerned.

Ours doesn't have a stated policy that I know of. I rarely take video, and when I do, try to make sure I only get my daughter in it. I also have to be sneaky about it, so she doesn't notice me taping and get distracted :)

Strictly no videos/photos at all. Viewing is permitted for the first and last 15 mins of training only and anyone caught breaking the rules is asked to leave the viewing area/delete any footage.

We are allowed to photograph/video.
Actually, at one point, I would get parent permission to record the girls so I could make a team video each year.
One parent didn't give permission the first year his daughter was on team, so I had to record around her. She was aware that she couldn't be in the video and would intentionally get into some of my shots (I know it was intentional because #1 - When it wasn't necessary for her to be right where she was, I would ask her to move so she wouldn't be in the shot. She would move, then move back. #2 - She admitted it to me last year). I lost a LOT of really good footage that way (at least 10 hours of footage was lost because she was in the background... not that I would have used all 10 hours, but I lost some first kips and special "tricks").
The next year, I got permission for her to be in the background - as long as she wasnt the focus of the clip. The dad mellowed AND realized that the video was only being sold to team parents and not put out there for everyone to see, so he was a little better with it.

Every gym we’ve been associated with..

Gym 1: record from the balcony as you wished

Gym 2: no parent viewing and therefore no pics/video

Gym 3: no pics/video allowed for the privacy of other gymnasts

Gym 4: no pics/video allowed except privates and choreography

Gym 5: no parental viewing but coaches regularly videod and sent to parents

Gym 6: pics/video were really common

Gym 7: pics/video really common

Gym 8: not allowed except privates

Gym 9: allowed from balcony

Gym 10: not allowed

Gym 11: I actually don’t know their official policy yet..but I’ve taken photos and my DD sends me videos

WOW 11 gyms!

Actually, at one point, I would get parent permission to record the girls so I could make a team video each year.
One parent didn't give permission the first year his daughter was on team, so I had to record around her. She was aware that she couldn't be in the video and would intentionally get into some of my shots (I know it was intentional because #1 - When it wasn't necessary for her to be right where she was, I would ask her to move so she wouldn't be in the shot. She would move, then move back. #2 - She admitted it to me last year). I lost a LOT of really good footage that way (at least 10 hours of footage was lost because she was in the background... not that I would have used all 10 hours, but I lost some first kips and special "tricks").
The next year, I got permission for her to be in the background - as long as she wasnt the focus of the clip. The dad mellowed AND realized that the video was only being sold to team parents and not put out there for everyone to see, so he was a little better with it.

I would have scrapped the videoing thing if even just one of the parents was uncomfortable with it...but that's me. Some people really don't like other people videoing their kid and that's their prerogative. I feel bad for that girl having to move out of those photos like that all year. And why would the other girls want a team video where one of their teammates was missing from every photo/scene?

Our annual contract w/ the gym requires us to allow photography of our child and for them to be used in ads, promo materials. I'm not sure if anyone has ever had a problem with it, but w/ the reputation that gymnastics has gotten lately w/ Nassar, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if some new parents start to question that clause.

I have videoed my daughter during privates and gym has no problem w/ that. Would never do it during regular class though - that would just be weird. My daughter is older though.

We’ve had quite the unique path, I think. Yes military with three big moves since they started gym, some switches for program type and abusive coaching, and also two kids at separate gyms most of the time.

You probably have a lot of knowledge on the best and worst ways to do things because you've been at so many different gyms. And have probably "seen it all" when it comes to competitive gymnastics.

Our coaches will video gymnasts training skills as needed. They do this to ensure that other gymnasts are not inadvertently captured on video. This has the double advantage of the best angles shown on video, as well as protecting the privacy of other children.

No rule in our gym, you can watch when you want (we have bleachers in our gym area and have a pretty good view of the entire gym) and as a coach I am able to sneak out onto the gym floor and catch better views of my DD when she is training something new. I've also been lucky enough to catch some of her teammates when they get a new skill and record those moments and send to the parents.

I'm also doing the end-of-the-year banquet video this year. We ask the parents and gymnasts to send in videos and pics to be considered for the video and I also try and catch as much as I can while I'm watching practice. We had the problem last year of some girls not being included in the video at all so I've got a list going of all the team girls and will make sure to have at least one picture and hopefully one video of each girl to be included in the video.

Absolutely no filming or photography during practice as part of our safeguarding rules. We give coaches permission to film for training purposes and they show the gymansts skills to help them understand what they are doing right or wrong. The only chance to capture skills on film is at a competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back