WAG Recovery from L5 Stress fracture?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Traci

Proud Parent
Hey. We are 16 weeks post diagnosis of a L5 Pars Defect (stress fracture). DD is still doing PT and was just approved to start doing tap swings. But no impact or back extension stuff. She experienced pain.... Any idea what recovery will feel like for her? The stress fracture itself should be healed (right?). Her pain level was a lot better until she tried the tap swings....

Suggestions? (Me, I told her to give it more time).

Ask your doctor or PT, there is not a single path to recovery. My daughter experienced pain but the doctor and PT told her she would and it was normal for her situation. We did extensive PT and have continued to work with a PT to strengthen her "weaknesses" that caused the injury.

It took a full year to recover to her pre-injury ability. Level 10

Did the doctor specifically okay tap swings? There is definitely extension involved in those. Definitely talk to the doctor/PT, but that might be a skill that needs to be held off on a bit longer.

I agree with @gasrgoose. My DD is 12 weeks post-diagnosis. She's been doing PT for a few weeks and very recently started at the gym again (not doing much at all in the gym except PT and some strength/conditioning). My DD was told by both her ortho and PT that pain and discomfort would be a normal part of her transition process. I specifically remember her ortho saying something along the lines that some kids will still experience significant pain even though they are healed. She said that if DD was like this that she would want to see her again but she also assured us that this was normal for some.

I agree with @gasrgoose. My DD is 12 weeks post-diagnosis. She's been doing PT for a few weeks and very recently started at the gym again (not doing much at all in the gym except PT and some strength/conditioning). My DD was told by both her ortho and PT that pain and discomfort would be a normal part of her transition process. I specifically remember her ortho saying something along the lines that some kids will still experience significant pain even though they are healed. She said that if DD was like this that she would want to see her again but she also assured us that this was normal for some.

I'll also add it was scary for all of us. We never were sure if the pain was ok, even after the doctor said so. We called the doctor and PT quite a bit. The mental side for my daughter was also very difficult. She struggled trusting that her body could handle what she was asking it to do. We were slow and deliberate, sometimes to the frustration of her coaches. But everyone is happy and ok now

I'll also add it was scary for all of us. We never were sure if the pain was ok, even after the doctor said so. We called the doctor and PT quite a bit. The mental side for my daughter was also very difficult. She struggled trusting that her body could handle what she was asking it to do. We were slow and deliberate, sometimes to the frustration of her coaches. But everyone is happy and ok now

Yeah, I can relate even though we are at the beginning of returning to sport. When DD first started PT I was asking her every day if her back hurt. It did hurt which wasn't what I wanted to hear (and made me want to ask even more) but for her situation what she was experiencing was normal. I quickly realized that I needed to stop questioning because the more I asked the more anxious I got. And I'm sure it was making my DD more anxious too. The last thing my DD needs is doubt coming from me. Since then I check in with her less frequently. DD has been good about expressing concerns either to me or her PT. @Traci - has pain been part of the conversation with your DD and her PT/ortho?

I agree and totally empathize as a parent and coach. My DD is 9 weeks since formal diagnosis (12 weeks from very restricted gymnastics) and working with PT, who is very knowledgeable about this injury in gymnasts. When DD is in gym she does PT, dance and hangs from bars in all three grips to help loosen up her tight shoulders. She tried a kip in a very hollowed position, but she still experienced pain while trying not to extend. The biggest challenge is keeping her from doing too much because she does not have any pain until she does something a gymnast would do, such as a simple handstand. As a parent, " I have eyes in the back of my head" so I know when she tries to hide the pain. As a coach, I can tell her its time to stop. Either way, its so challenging without a crystal ball.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back