Parents Recruiting question- now with the new rules...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjb123

Proud Parent
do you think this will really change how recruiting for college gym is done? There has been a lot of talk around lately about the rules changing and how this will (might? should?) affect early verbals, but I was wondering what the community thinks it will look like IRL. Are there loopholes? How do you think this will pan out over the next few years?

I believe they are referring to the fact that college staff cannot be involved in unofficial visits until September of junior year.

Well considering kids younger than jr in high school are still verbally committing to schools I'm guessing not much will change

A college coach can communicate with club team coach, just not the kid. If a kid visits a school unofficially before jr year it can not involve the athletic department.

Kids can still attend camps. I'm still unclear on phone calls -- if kid calls and coach answers -- as to whether that is still allowed

I believe they are referring to the fact that college staff cannot be involved in unofficial visits until September of junior year.
Gotcha! I mean it is going to be difficult for recruiters to just "not notice" great talent. What I mean by that, is let's say they're in town to see Susie, a HS junior....and out of the corner of their eye they see Trixie, a phenomenal L10 6th grader. You better believe they'll jot her name down and keep an eye on her through the years. I definitely think there should be a hard rule on verbal commit limitations, before a certain age. There are so many things that can change from year to year. Meaning the gymnast may quit, may fall in love with another school, may want to join the circus or become a janitor...who knows. I also think a verbal commit so early puts enormous pressure on such a young gymnast, while it's an incentive all at the same time (can you tell I have mixed feelings on this? "I'm in a glass case of emotion!!!")
I'm not sure I even have a point anymore. But yes I do think it will change the recruitment process, hopefully in a good way for the schools and the athletes.

A college coach can communicate with club team coach, just not the kid. If a kid visits a school unofficially before jr year it can not involve the athletic department.
Could you imagine if they weren't allowed to visit a campus at all??? Oh the hysteria that would ensue. "Oh what a swell road trip this is, what's that Katie? You have to pee...ok looks like University of North Southern Kansasville is right over here, hop out and go!"

"No mom, nooooooo, this will forever change my future hopes and dreams! Oh man but I have to pee so bad! Ok fine I'll, go, but for the love of god don't buy anything with your credit card while we are here, they can trace that, and do NOT tag me on your instagram!"

Could you imagine if they weren't allowed to visit a campus at all??? Oh the hysteria that would ensue. "Oh what a swell road trip this is, what's that Katie? You have to pee...ok looks like University of North Southern Kansasville is right over here, hop out and go!"

"No mom, nooooooo, this will forever change my future hopes and dreams! Oh man but I have to pee so bad! Ok fine I'll, go, but for the love of god don't buy anything with your credit card while we are here, they can trace that, and do NOT tag me on your instagram!"
You know people would try anything to get around the rules. o_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back