Regarding the future of the "Question & Answer" forum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So if I wanted to ask a gymnast about potential team gifts or a coach about problems my kid was having in gym, both would go into CB rather than the gymnast forum or the coach forum. Is that correct?

I would support maintaining the question and answer thread. If the other threads are losing momentum, perhaps it means that current members are more interested in open type discussions rather than discussions that are limited to a particular group of people.

I agree with Aussie coach. I like just having to visit my three main forums to get my CB fix. But then again, I am not a creature of change. I'm just getting comfortable again here after the last big Forum reorganization. LOL

Sorry I'm another confused as to the problem as well as the proposed solution.

My current understanding is that 'my' (parents) group uses this mainly for brags and parental chit chats.

I've definitely been an offender for being a frequent user of the Q&A. I suspect most posts I've started have been requests to "all" so that I can weigh feedback from all groups about a problem or decision.

It would be silly of me to start identical threads in a bunch of forums (parent/gymnast/coach) all asking for feedback about one single issue. But the only alternative I can see if the "Q&A to all" was locked is to post those in the CB forum instead.

... It seems to me that the loss of the 'Q&A for all' option would just relocate those questions to the CB board. And wouldn't that leave you with the exact same fundamental 'problem' - just in a different spot??

I would support maintaining the question and answer thread. If the other threads are losing momentum, perhaps it means that current members are more interested in open type discussions rather than discussions that are limited to a particular group of people.

Then I should eliminate the group forums...one of which is the largest forum on the site.

Sorry I'm another confused as to the problem as well as the proposed solution.

My current understanding is that 'my' (parents) group uses this mainly for brags and parental chit chats.

I've definitely been an offender for being a frequent user of the Q&A. I suspect most posts I've started have been requests to "all" so that I can weigh feedback from all groups about a problem or decision.

It would be silly of me to start identical threads in a bunch of forums (parent/gymnast/coach) all asking for feedback about one single issue. But the only alternative I can see if the "Q&A to all" was locked is to post those in the CB forum instead.

... It seems to me that the loss of the 'Q&A for all' option would just relocate those questions to the CB board. And wouldn't that leave you with the exact same fundamental 'problem' - just in a different spot??

So why do we need 2 forums with the same problem....when we could only have one? The CB forum always contained questions until the relatively new Q&A forum was started.

So if I wanted to ask a gymnast about potential team gifts or a coach about problems my kid was having in gym, both would go into CB rather than the gymnast forum or the coach forum. Is that correct?

Yes...just like it used to be.

So why do we need 2 forums with the same problem....when we could only have one? The CB forum always contained questions until the relatively new Q&A forum was started.

Sorry I thought you were hoping to reduce the clumping rather than consolidate it.
I'm happy if you are. :)

Sorry I thought you were hoping to reduce the clumping rather than consolidate it.
I'm happy if you are. :)

Unlike many members...many of the forums on this site do not interest me. I would rather just come on the site and answer a question about a skill than plow through the Q&A forum to find a question about a skill that should be in the "skills & drills" forum.

I keep asking the same question...."Why does the forum have to be called "Q&A" to ask a question and get an answer?"

The site didn't used to have this forum and all these question were still asked and answered just fine. The "Q&A" forum is redundant. A new forum should not kill ones that were previously more active. That is basically what "Q&A" has done.

I just want to make sure Im following here. (im a little slow on the uptake sometimes). Okay, being that the only group im a member of is the parents group..if I had a question I wanted answered by more than just other parents, I should post it in the CB? (thats if you do away with the Q and A). But if I didnt want feedback from anyone but other parents I should post it in the parents. Right?
I think this could be a plus in a sense. Because then the OP could somewhat control who they get feedback from by where they choose to post it. (i guess they could do the same now..but i try to post any questions in the question and just click who i want feedback from) I have noticed at times where someone asks questions in the Q and A and it will say question for other gymnasts..and people from all groups respond. I caught myself doing this once..it wasnt until i had submited my post that I realized they didnt want to know what I as a parent thought..lol. So I went back and edited the post by blanking it and saying i was sorry that i had responded. It would stop that from happening. (although as with I, I think most are more than happy to hear what all groups have to say.)
I hope I understood you correctly, otherwise I just sat here and rattled on about nonsense...lol

I just want to make sure Im following here. (im a little slow on the uptake sometimes). Okay, being that the only group im a member of is the parents group..if I had a question I wanted answered by more than just other parents, I should post it in the CB? (thats if you do away with the Q and A). But if I didnt want feedback from anyone but other parents I should post it in the parents. Right?
I think this could be a plus in a sense. Because then the OP could somewhat control who they get feedback from by where they choose to post it. (i guess they could do the same now..but i try to post any questions in the question and just click who i want feedback from) I have noticed at times where someone asks questions in the Q and A and it will say question for other gymnasts..and people from all groups respond. I caught myself doing this once..it wasnt until i had submited my post that I realized they didnt want to know what I as a parent thought..lol. So I went back and edited the post by blanking it and saying i was sorry that i had responded. It would stop that from happening. (although as with I, I think most are more than happy to hear what all groups have to say.)
I hope I understood you correctly, otherwise I just sat here and rattled on about nonsense...lol

I would like to double "like" your post.

The first part you are right. Just post it in CB or in the matching topic forum. If you only want to speak to parents...then parent forum.

As far as the "Question for Gymnasts?" and so on...you are correct...it doesn't work. Nobody pays attention to who the question is for.

I've always seen the CB & QA forums as to separate things. CB for more for general gymnastics chat among all groups & QA to ask a question when I want replies from all groups(parents, coaches & gymnast). I've always tried to make sure my questions didn't fit into another forum(ie. skills & drills) better. Maybe I've been viewing these incorrectly all along, but that's how I've seen & used the 2 forums. Of course I post mainly to the parents forum & then to CB & finally QA, but occasionally I have posted to the coaches or skills & drills forum when my posts fit there best.

I like having the general chat(CB), separated from QA. And I like being able to post a non-skill question & get input from all. Having QA & CB separate does "unclump" things in my mind(questions vs. chat) as long as people are posting in appropriate forums for both. I like things the way they are, unless it is causing a major problem with how the site runs. I think newbies will catch on to proper post placement as they get to know site better & maybe with occasional gentle reminders;).

I admit there are alot of skill questions popping up in QA that might be better under skills & drills or in the coaches forum. Maybe we just need remind newbies(and everyone else) to try to fit the post to the proper forum better? Maybe move any newly posted questions that obviously belong elsewhere to their proper place. Such as to the Skills & drills forum & tell the OP why it was moved. I think people would catch on. And I would think doing that would be easier then trying to move all of the old QA threads.

I have asked questions in QA(that didn't fit any place else) & I've gotten wonderful replies from everyone there. I see CB more as chat than as questions...I do see a distinction between the two & I'd like to see it remain as is. JMHO.

I've always seen the CB & QA forums as to separate things. CB for more for general gymnastics chat among all groups & QA to ask a question when I want replies from all groups(parents, coaches & gymnast). I've always tried to make sure my questions didn't fit into another forum(ie. skills & drills) better. Maybe I've been viewing these incorrectly all along, but that's how I've seen & used the 2 forums. Of course I post mainly to the parents forum & then to CB & finally QA, but occasionally I have posted to the coaches or skills & drills forum when my posts fit there best.

I like having the general chat(CB), separated from QA. And I like being able to post a non-skill question & get input from all. Having QA & CB separate does "unclump" things in my mind(questions vs. chat) as long as people are posting in appropriate forums for both. I like things the way they are, unless it is causing a major problem with how the site runs. I think newbies will catch on to proper post placement as they get to know site better & maybe with occasional gentle reminders;).

I admit there are alot of skill questions popping up in QA that might be better under skills & drills or in the coaches forum. Maybe we just need remind newbies(and everyone else) to try to fit the post to the proper forum better? Maybe move any newly posted questions that obviously belong elsewhere to their proper place. Such as to the Skills & drills forum & tell the OP why it was moved. I think people would catch on. And I would think doing that would be easier then trying to move all of the old QA threads.

I have asked questions in QA(that didn't fit any place else) & I've gotten wonderful replies from everyone there. I see CB more as chat than as questions...I do see a distinction between the two & I'd like to see it remain as is. JMHO.

Very well stated. It's hard to argue with someone that actually understands the site. Perhaps reminders and a few Q&A forum moderators to move threads that belong somewhere else would help. I'm not opposed to this.

I must admit I have responded to some questions that maybe I wasn't supposed to, probably because I usually use the 'whats new' function. For example, there is a 'gymnast' group and a 'adult gymnast' group, so I presume 'gymnast' really means 'non-adult gymnast'. Personally, I like to see answers from everyone, and dividing everyone into groups isn't so important to me, especially as many members belong to more than one group. Most coaches are or were gymnasts and many are also parents. I don't see the other forums as 'dead', perhaps just more slow-moving and I think that is normal on a discussion board. If I only want answers from parents, I post in the parents forum. But I'm pretty easy-going and whatever rules are decided on I will try to follow.

I don't really see any issue with one section of the forum being the most popular. Besides, that would suggest that section is the most successful and is what people come here for -- why eliminate it?

It's hard to argue with someone that actually understands the site.

Ouch.

It's your site. If you want to change it, just change it. You don't have to convince those who "don't understand the site." I think some people disagree with the decision for reasons that have nothing to do with comprehension but it doesn't sound like you are going to experience a mass exodus because you eliminate one forum that isn't working for you.

I know I certainly won't leave because of Q&A. I'll just adapt.

I see the dilemma.

What if all threads posted to that forum have to be approved by a moderator first?

To be honest, I'm not sure what that forum is for, when there are specific forums that the questions can be posted to. So I don't mind it being locked. But as I said before, I'm new here, and there may be a purpose to it that is really needed. In which case, it's a matter of finding a solution to be sure that it's not posted to more than it should be.

Another thought: that particular forum is at the TOP of the forums list. Maybe move it to the bottom. To get to it, people have to scroll through all the forums looking for a suitable place to post their topic. IF they are new and the first thing they see is Q and A, they might post there first. Meanwhile, if it's at the bottom of the list, they'd see the other forums along the way and probably post there.

So maybe that, and also just moderation approval, and hopefully people will learn that that forum has a very specific purpose.

My final suggestion would be an access limit. For example, the forum is open to members who have been a member for x days and have made a minimum of x posts. They can view from sign up, but cannot post until that time.

I have been a member of CB for quite a few years now and have seen many changes in the layout of the site. Maybe I am doing something wrong now with this current site, but when I first log on I go directly to FORUMS, then click on NEW POSTS. When I want to post a new thread I usually almost post it under CHALKBUCKET to capture input from everyone.

Maybe the use of different Question Areas such as Q & A isn't really needed. I agree with keeping the CB uncluttered and organized so maybe there is a way to "archive" posts and threads that are really old and just keep the past 2 years of posts "active". I have seen recently some really old posts (from like 2008) get drug up and bumped up to the top of NEW POSTS that are really not relevent anymore.

But, in my mind, I like things simple, clean and organized so streamlining the site would be good. I don't necessarily like change either, but I always adapt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back