Parents Regional meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ingwe

Proud Parent
Morgan had her Region 8 level 7 regionals last weekend. The meet went okay. It wasn't her best nor her worst.

Two days before we left she had a horrific fall at Gym and we weren't even sure she was going to be able to go. She was doing her series on beam and balked in the middle of her backhandspring. She landed on top of her head and then wrenched it all the way back. The entire top of her head is bruised and she could barely turn her head from side to side due the the neck injury. She really wanted to go, so off we went to Mississippi.

1st up was bars and she did a nice routine but shorted her cast handstands a bit. Good enough for an 8.75

2nd up was beam. She hadn't been on the beam since the fall so I was curious to see how she would handle it. She changed her routine to do a backhandspring and then BWO/BWO back tuck dismount. She did an great BHS but then fell on the 2nd BWO. Needless to say her score wasn't so great. 8.050. I was so proud of her just getting up there and doing it, knowing that she was fighting fear and in major pain.

3rd was Floor. Again, not her best showing. She shorted her FHS/Front pike, shorted her lay out and just looked off. Then to top it all off she fell on her ending pose. LOL!! Scored an 8.75

4th was vault, all looked great and scored a 9.2

She ended up placing on bars and came home with a Regional medal.

Now according to her is the best time of the year. She gets to work on L8 skills and No more routines. LOL

Wow. Huge kudos on just going and doing the meet after that fall. That sounds horrible. I think if my dd even saw someone do that it would take her a good long time to do a BHS on the beam again.

On a side note. I haven't heard of level 7 regionals before. We don't have that in our region. Is it an invitational in conjunction with Regionals, or are the level 7s in your region qualifying basically the same as the 8s.

For Region 8 we do L7 and L8 regionals. Each state in region 8 has it's own qualifications. Here in SC they took the top 23 girls from the State meet. (there were a total of 135 L7's this year in our state) The Top 8 competed for the State team and then the other 15 were what they call All Stars and just competed in individual competiton.
It is a really good experience for the girls, and she got a whole bag of great stuff, including a Leo, Hoodie, shorts, tee shirt, hair scrunchies, etc. :)

I was worried that she wouldn't do the BHS. It will be interesting to see how she does this week back at gym. She is going to have to do that BHS/BHS series and I know she is going to be a nervous wreck.

It sounds like she did great to place at regionals...I know the competition was tough because I was watching the scores all weekends for our gym's girls who were there!!!

Congrats to her and good luck to her in L8!!! Our gym's 7's who came back from the meet are SO excited to be done and moving on to 8, too!:)

She did a great job to just get back up on the beam so quickly after a major fall, especially at Regionals. I watched her scores on Friday. I was following one of our L7's that was in your DD's group. I really enjoyed the live scoring. Best of luck to her in L8.

What a brave girl, to get back on and do so well is amazing. If my head was that sore I think I'd have been in bed for a month. Gald you survived and I am thrilled that she got a medal.

Sounds like she did very well to me, had to be very scary & she must have still been in some pain. Congratulations on moving to L8 !!!

She did a great job to just get back up on the beam so quickly after a major fall, especially at Regionals. I watched her scores on Friday. I was following one of our L7's that was in your DD's group. I really enjoyed the live scoring. Best of luck to her in L8.

Is her name Danielle?

Thanks. We are not 100% sure she will go to L8. Our gym has some pretty strict policies about moving up so she is going to need to get some skills before then. She will know for sure in August.

Sounds like she did very well to me, had to be very scary & she must have still been in some pain. Congratulations on moving to L8 !!!

Her neck is still really sore. The Dr. said it would be about 3 weeks before she was pain free.

Way to go .. bringing home a regional medal!! I'm glad she was not seriously hurt when she fell. This is such a scary sport! Good luck with her level 8 season!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back