Regional squad trial

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
Hi all, my daughter has regional squad trials tomorrow (the first time anyone from our club has gone I think). According to her coach she has 'most' of the criteria but not quite all. Just wondering whether this is quite normal or whether the gymnasts going usually have everything? Should we look at it as just good experience, or does she actually have a chance?! Thank you!

Thank you! Just trying to find out what to expect a bit, but I expect I'll find out tomorrow

Regional squads vary hugely. Some are very high level , some are not. Some award purely on results the previous year, some trial basic strength and flexibility, and some test skills. Some are a mixture of all 3. Just go for the experience and see what happens.

Regional squads vary hugely. Some are very high level , some are not. Some award purely on results the previous year, some trial basic strength and flexibility, and some test skills. Some are a mixture of all 3. Just go for the experience and see what happens.
Thank you!

Nope, not this time! It seems like being born late in the year is really, really unhelpful for gymnastics...
Is that the reasoning you received ?if so that’s very negative as should have nothing to do with it

Is that the reasoning you received ?if so that’s very negative as should have nothing to do with it

No, no, sorry, that wasn't what they said, in fact we got some nice feedback on her, and some things to work on. But it seems that they were mostly testing the in age compulsory skills, whereas she will be doing them a year out of age, so hasn't been working on them as much yet, and doesn't have them all.

I'm just kind of putting it all together in my head and thinking that if a gymnast starts squad training when they turn 6 (for example), if they are born on 1st Jan, they get about 3 1/4 years training before doing compulsory 3. But if they are born on 31 Dec and start when they turn 6, they only get 2 1/4 years training before having to do it (in age). So to get the same amount of training before doing the grade, they can do it a year out of age, so far so good. But then they don't get national finals, regional squads, potentially even national squads, all because they are a year out of age. Even though they have actually taken the grade at the same age (9 1/4 years old, bar one day), as the in age gymnast born on 1st Jan. It just seems to affect gymnastics far more than other sports, maybe partially because they are so young. Feeling responsible that I had her at the wrong time of year!!

No, no, sorry, that wasn't what they said, in fact we got some nice feedback on her, and some things to work on. But it seems that they were mostly testing the in age compulsory skills, whereas she will be doing them a year out of age, so hasn't been working on them as much yet, and doesn't have them all.

I'm just kind of putting it all together in my head and thinking that if a gymnast starts squad training when they turn 6 (for example), if they are born on 1st Jan, they get about 3 1/4 years training before doing compulsory 3. But if they are born on 31 Dec and start when they turn 6, they only get 2 1/4 years training before having to do it (in age). So to get the same amount of training before doing the grade, they can do it a year out of age, so far so good. But then they don't get national finals, regional squads, potentially even national squads, all because they are a year out of age. Even though they have actually taken the grade at the same age (9 1/4 years old, bar one day), as the in age gymnast born on 1st Jan. It just seems to affect gymnastics far more than other sports, maybe partially because they are so young. Feeling responsible that I had her at the wrong time of year!!

Correction: sorry, that should read 4 1/4 years training for the gymnast born 1st Jan, 3 1/4 years for 31 Dec, and taking the grade at 10 1/4 years old, but you get the point. I realise it's just bad luck, and there's nothing to be done, but sometimes I do find myself wistfully looking at the year below her and thinking how different her entire gymnastics experience would be if she were the oldest in that year instead of the youngest in her own! Luckily she is enjoying herself anyway, which is the main thing...

The age cut off thing is an issue in all sports as there has to be a cut off somewhere. It's hard when you are at the wrong end of it though. But the positive thing is that now that OOA compulsories are more used, the end goal is the same - British Champs. And while they continue not to give OOA compulsory gymnasts medals, I'm sure she will get the chance to win some at other comps during the year.

In some other sports, you find that there is a massive concentration of January born athletes (or Sept if that is the cut off). When they were little, that extra year over their December team mates made them so much bigger and stronger - leading to many of the Dec babies not being picked for teams or squads and dropping out along the way. At least the crazy multiple pathways and OOA options from BG give everyone a pathway somehow. But yes, it does feel harsh at times.

The age cut off thing is an issue in all sports as there has to be a cut off somewhere. It's hard when you are at the wrong end of it though. But the positive thing is that now that OOA compulsories are more used, the end goal is the same - British Champs. And while they continue not to give OOA compulsory gymnasts medals, I'm sure she will get the chance to win some at other comps during the year.

In some other sports, you find that there is a massive concentration of January born athletes (or Sept if that is the cut off). When they were little, that extra year over their December team mates made them so much bigger and stronger - leading to many of the Dec babies not being picked for teams or squads and dropping out along the way. At least the crazy multiple pathways and OOA options from BG give everyone a pathway somehow. But yes, it does feel harsh at times.

Yes, I know you're right! And I am definitely a huge fan of being able to do the compulsories out of age more now, that's a step forward, and does allow the late developers a route to the British. I do think the difference in confidence between someone who has never made regional squad, and someone who has been in national squad for years, means that even when they get to the British, they still haven't 'caught up' though! But it is what it is, and as you say there has to be a cut off somewhere... And I'm getting way ahead of myself anyway, my daughter is only just beginning the journey!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back