WAG Regionals for Region 6 qualifying

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

Hoping someone could clarify qualifying. I assume the additional 112 are divided among all the states in Region 6. Would that be correct?

Level 7 ‡ Qualification will take place at the State Championships
‡ Top seven gymnasts, regardless of age group, will qualify as the ¶Super Seven· State Team.
‡ An additional 112 qualifiers [All Stars] will be selected on a % of a % formula.

Level 8 ‡ Qualification will take place at the State Championship
‡ Top seven gymnasts, regardless of age group,
An additional 112 gymnasts [All Stars] will be selected on a % of a % formula.

I don't know for sure as I am not R6, but looking at last years regionals on mymeetscores, It looks like you are interpreting it correctly. Only 157 L8 last year. 112 all stars and the super 7x7states. Take a few out for injuries.

I don’t really understand how they get to the number, but I know last year they took the top 58 for L8 and 55 for L7 from NY. Just to give you a reference. Hopefully the exact numbers will be out soon!

I don't know for sure as I am not R6, but looking at last years regionals on mymeetscores, It looks like you are interpreting it correctly. Only 157 L8 last year. 112 all stars and the super 7x7states. Take a few out for injuries.
That’s how I read it

I grew up in Region 6 and, while the formats for Regionals have changed quite a bit, they always have used this "% of a %" language (which, IMO, is not very clear). I am not 100% positive, but I believe it means that they split the 112 additional spots among all of the states proportional to the number of Level 7s or 8s they have. For example, if NY has 50% of Level 8s, they will receive 56 spots. So the top 7 Level 8s in NY will be on their Super Seven team and the next 56 will qualify as All-Stars. I'm not sure if age groups at the state level matter or if they just create age groups for the All-Stars based on who qualifies.

I grew up in Region 6 and, while the formats for Regionals have changed quite a bit, they always have used this "% of a %" language (which, IMO, is not very clear). I am not 100% positive, but I believe it means that they split the 112 additional spots among all of the states proportional to the number of Level 7s or 8s they have. For example, if NY has 50% of Level 8s, they will receive 56 spots. So the top 7 Level 8s in NY will be on their Super Seven team and the next 56 will qualify as All-Stars. I'm not sure if age groups at the state level matter or if they just create age groups for the All-Stars based on who qualifies.

Yes that was my understanding as well. When we did Regionals for Xcel it’s was top scores, age not a factor.

I don’t really understand how they get to the number, but I know last year they took the top 58 for L8 and 55 for L7 from NY. Just to give you a reference. Hopefully the exact numbers will be out soon!

Thanks that gives me an idea of where our girls have to hit. I think there are a couple girls who might get in, but theyll be at the cusp area. So it will a bit of luck too.

Yes that was my understanding as well. When we did Regionals for Xcel it’s was top scores, age not a factor.

Thanks that gives me an idea of where our girls have to hit. I think there are a couple girls who might get in, but theyll be at the cusp area. So it will a bit of luck too.
The last NY girl to make it for L7 last year was 36.95. (I looked back to an old text with a mom of a kid who JUST missed it :( )

Reactions: sce
Last year for lvl 7 you had to have 36.9 to have made regionals in MA. I think there were a couple of high 36.8's but 36.9 is a good number to aim for this year. Not sure my dd is going to make it. She has the ability to but will need to hit everything perfect.

@Deleted member 18037 Its up for NY. They are taking 52 of 332 for L7 and 59 of 238 for L8. Sessions and age groups are up too. http://nyusag.com/htmlsource/States/2018/Level 78/Information.pdf
Cool, Still puts things in the 37, perhaps high 36 range.

Actually I think that is older info. I have seen top 7 for the "super" team. Not that it matters for our girls. We would be in the larger team if anyone qualifies.

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0146/0654/Winter_2018_Newsletter.pdf

They don't have the total entries yet for the percent/percent thing.

Cool, Still puts things in the 37, perhaps high 36 range.

Actually I think that is older info. I have seen top 7 for the "super" team. Not that it matters for our girls. We would be in the larger team if anyone qualifies.
This just came out yesterday morning? But yes, I agree. I think it will be very high 36/ low 37 to get in. Only about 15% will make it!

ETA - ok that's region 6 specific. not MA. i guess it's 112 per state for region 6. i was hoping to have a clue as to how many per level. MA doesn't seem to be on it's game though.... lol

ok - ours is up too in MA.
it looks like they are taking the top 7 and then 112 additional per level. is that right? or is it 112 split between the 2 levels? i'm so confused!
https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachme...vel_7_8_Regional_Championships_Packet_rev.pdf
The 112 is for all of the states in region 6 by percentage. So states with higher amount of gymmies get more gymmies. I’m making a leap that NY and MA get more kids because they have more kids proportionally compared to say Maine or Rhode Island

ETA - ok that's region 6 specific. not MA. i guess it's 112 per state for region 6. i was hoping to have a clue as to how many per level. MA doesn't seem to be on it's game though.... lol
Go look at Regionals for last year. They do not take 112 gymmies per state. That would be over 700 gymmies at Regionals. No

Go look at Regionals for last year. They do not take 112 gymmies per state. That would be over 700 gymmies at Regionals. No
so there were 317 gymnasts at lvl 7/8 regionals last year.
159 for lvl 7
and 157 for lvl 8

but NY's info is up and they are taking over 50 per level to regionals. how is that possible? that only leaves a little over 50 to split among the other states?
btw - i missed the entire upper portion of this thread. lol . i only saw one post. next time i'll read the thread through!

so there were 317 gymnasts at lvl 7/8 regionals last year.
159 for lvl 7
and 157 for lvl 8

but NY's info is up and they are taking over 50 per level to regionals. how is that possible? that only leaves a little over 50 to split among the other states?
btw - i missed the entire upper portion of this thread. lol . i only saw one post. next time i'll read the thread through!
It has to do with the total gymnasts competing L7 and L8 by state.

Because they take a percent of gymnasts. The percent depends on the total number of gymnasts per level by state. The "super teams are equal. Top 7 no matter the state.
After that its the percentage of participating gymnasts.

Last year for example NH L7 States had less then 60 gymnasts total. NY had 300 plus (more for just L7 then NH had total for L4-L8 combined), MA had 217.

So percentage wise NY had the most gymnasts, they get more gymnasts by number. I'm sure MA got the next highest number of gymnasts to send
Each state gets the same percentage wise. The the top x% per state goes.

Reactions: sce
It has to do with the total gymnasts competing L7 and L8 by state.

Because they take a percent of gymnasts. The percent depends on the total number of gymnasts per level by state. The "super teams are equal. Top 7 no matter the state.
After that its the percentage of participating gymnasts.

Last year for example NH L7 States had less then 60 gymnasts total. NY had 300 plus (more for just L7 then NH had total for L4-L8 combined), MA had 217.

So percentage wise NY had the most gymnasts, they get more gymnasts by number. I'm sure MA got the next highest number of gymnasts to send
Each state gets the same percentage wise. The the top x% per state goes.
Sorry timed out.

Top 7 per state.

If you were in NY or MA last year it would of taken a 37.6 or 37.4 to qualify for the super team. VT with 27 L7 gymnasts a 36 would of gotten you on the super team.

Of course a state with only 27 total competing gymnasts should get less gymnasts then a state with over 300 or over 200

Sorry timed out.

Top 7 per state.

If you were in NY or MA last year it would of taken a 37.6 or 37.4 to qualify for the super team. VT with 27 L7 gymnasts a 36 would of gotten you on the super team.

Of course a state with only 27 total competing gymnasts should get less gymnasts then a state with over 300 or over 200
Sorry last thing. Edit timed out again

Again per state top 7 go.

So if you live in VT, if you are in the top 25% you make the super team 7/27. ME top 30% get you on the super team 7/23. In MA the top 3% made the super team 7/217. In NY you need to be top 2% 7/330.

So yes NY sends the most kids to Regionals based on numbers and for NY kids the odds of making the super team are much more difficult, again with MA coming in second.

For the all star team or whatever they call it this year. They all have the same shot, based on percentage. Given all the what if's and but xyz that's about as fair as you can make it.

Just the way this stuff goes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back