Regions for JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Does anyone know how they decided on the Regions for women's JO, and if they ever re-evaluate them to better balance the numbers of gymnasts? Just looking at the Regions in the Western half of the US that held their champions this weekend, Regions 1 and 3 have more than twice the numbers of upper optional gymnasts than Region 2. So only about 30% of the level 9'sand 10's in Regions 1 and 3 will qualify to Westerns/Nationals, while more than 80% of the 9's and 10's in Region 2 will qualify to Westerns/Nationals.

Does USAG ever talk about re-drawing the Regions to better balance the numbers?

I am anxious to read any responses. Being from region 2, I cannot imagine adding more states- our out of state meets can be in Hawaii or Alaska as it is. I guess I was spoiled growing up in New England. Even our furthest away meets were never more than a 4 to 5 hour drive.

it has been looked at before. don't know the origin of the regional boundaries.

It won't ever be fair. As far as I can tell, TX, CA and a few other power states could be regions all by themselves with the sheer volume of high level gyms they have in those states.

Regionals sure had amazing talent - it is so much fun to watch level 10s compete!

I agree that it couldn't ever be 100% fair, but think it could be balanced a little better. I mostly feel for the older level 10's, who are looking to show their stuff to the college coaches. There were girls in the Senior level 10 divisions at Region 1 championships scoring 37+ who didn't qualify for JO Nationals, because there are 20-25+ in each age group. While there were girls from Region 2 qualifying with 34's because there are only 4-11 in each age group.

I agree that it couldn't ever be 100% fair, but think it could be balanced a little better. I mostly feel for the older level 10's, who are looking to show their stuff to the college coaches. There were girls in the Senior level 10 divisions at Region 1 championships scoring 37+ who didn't qualify for JO Nationals, because there are 20-25+ in each age group. While there were girls from Region 2 qualifying with 34's because there are only 4-11 in each age group.

That does sound quite lopsided. I wonder if adding more regions would be the answer and having larger population states like CA and TX be a region of their own (or with only 1-2 other states). just thinking aloud

I understand your frustration. One of our girls fell during her reverse hecht- I worried she would be out of the running, but then someone reminded me "This is Region2, she will be fine." My heart goes out to some of these girls, though. They are accustomed to being on the podium locally and every year at Westerns/Nationals they are in the bottom 10th. Watch out for Auburn, though. They are producing some top notch gymnasts!

That does sound quite lopsided. I wonder if adding more regions would be the answer and having larger population states like CA and TX be a region of their own (or with only 1-2 other states). just thinking aloud

i think the majority of gymnasts in region 1 are from california and that wouldn't solve anything. i am from southern california, trust me it's tough keeping up with those 37's.

Speaking from region 3, a majority of the qualifying gymnasts are from Texas. This weekend was L8 regionals and the majority of the girls that qualified for (not sure of the name of the meet) were from Texas and most were in the youngest age group.
Any ideas why the youngest seem to do better?

Speaking from region 3, a majority of the qualifying gymnasts are from Texas. This weekend was L8 regionals and the majority of the girls that qualified for (not sure of the name of the meet) were from Texas and most were in the youngest age group.
Any ideas why the youngest seem to do better?

Cute points :). Seriously though, if you think about it, those little ones have to be mighty talented to make it to the higher levels at younger ages. And being smaller, they tend to just "look" better doing the skills. Tighter bodies, less length to notice bent limbs. It is a little disheartening,though, to see those scored progressively from high to low as the age divisions increase. For both ends, really. Many really good younger girls score higher than most of the older girls yet they don't get to regionals or nationals because their age groups are so competitive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Cute points :). Seriously though, if you think about it, those little ones have to be mighty talented to make it to the higher levels at younger ages. And being smaller, they tend to just "look" better doing the skills. Tighter bodies, less length to notice bent limbs. It is a little disheartening,though, to see those scored progressively from high to low as the age divisions increase. For both ends, really. Many really good younger girls score higher than most of the older girls yet they don't get to regionals or nationals because their age groups are so competitive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Haha! Yeah, they are pretty cute. My dd is a 10 yo level 8, she was one of the youngest at Regionals. The girl that won had a 38.95! And practices twice as many hours as our gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back