WAG Remember where you first learned about this. :)

• Thread starter Deleted member D3987
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yeah but then we have to tell people we "dunno" who dunno is but he told us ;-)

But seriously this is very cool! Do you know a lot of gyms that have this?

no one yet. hopefully they will submit to FIG and start the process. this could be a sea change for safety in floor exercise. :)

And it would seem like it would be much quicker to put up than a traditional spring floor system. I witnessed the equipment being brought in and set up for our state gymnastics meet this year. I never realized what a process that is!

Ohh how much are these? I can't see a price and my translation skills aren't working...

It would be great for small gyms with no permanent or sprung floor so kids get to practice full routines...

Ohh how much are these? I can't see a price and my translation skills aren't working...

It would be great for small gyms with no permanent or sprung floor so kids get to practice full routines...

don't know yet. i'll let you all know when i learn the price. :)

I wanted to see one of those tumblers stick a landing! I wonder if it would be more difficult to stick a landing on an airfloor? I suppose this has the same sort of rebound as a "sweet spot".

if inflated more, the mat would be more firm to accommodate 'sticking'.

I was looking at that a few days ago and had the same conversation with a few people, wondering if this was going to be the next step for Floor exersize. Of course it would be much better on the gymnasts joints, especially with the years of pounding an elite gymnasts joints take, but I can't help but feel it is turning artistic gymnastics into trampoline and tumbling. It's like only ever teaching kids to tumble on a tumble trak.

Is this meant to replace a traditional floor or to put on top of it like in the video? I just don't see it working long term. Too much wear and tear, potential for holes and loss of pressure over time. I asked my daughter and she gave me the same concerns and said that she would not feel comfortable tumbling on this regularly. She said that she would be afraid of it losing pressure while she was tumbling and not provide the support needed on landing.

I wanted to see one of those tumblers stick a landing! I wonder if it would be more difficult to stick a landing on an airfloor? I suppose this has the same sort of rebound as a "sweet spot".

In the video all the landings have been chopped off so we can't see if they stuck them or not.

It did strike me as odd that they cut EVERY SINGLE CLIP right as the gymnast lands.... and if we're talking about using this to improve safety, then it seems to me like that's a pretty important part to show.....

I mean, it seems like a great idea and I'm fully in favor of anything that makes the sport safer, but the editing of that video just seemed very odd to me.

Dunno, are there any other videos where we can get a better look at the landings to get an idea of how it flexes on impact?

Lol, I was just going to say that it would be great for a couple of the YMCAs we compete against... one hosts a meet and they don't heave a spring floor and the other one that hosts without a dedicated gymnastics gym has to take their floor apart every night. We also have 3 other gyms that don't host meets... because they don't have spring floors. 3 of the 5 gyms are all in one city. Maybe they could pool their resources and get one to share :)

It does seem to have potential, but air things can get leaks. I know some places have an airtramp though. How do those hold up?

Does it have to be on a traditional spring floor to get the bounce? I would have concerns with durability and the potential for some serious safety concerns if it suddenly lost pressure or popped. Is the air continuously pumped in to maintain the pressure?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back