Parents Reminder for parents - Meet Etiquette

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
warning - this may sound a little vent-ish LOL

I would like to remind parents that the people that work meets are VOLUNTEERS. And even if they weren't they are only doing their job. Don't give them a hard time at the door. You KNOW you have to pay . . . lets be honest here . . . has anyone EVER gone to a free meet?

They are VOLUNTEERS . .

. . . they are NOT babysitters, don't leave the little siblings unattended at concession, in the hall, in the lobby etc. Bring something for them to do or leave them home.

. . . they are NOT maids, please try to clean up after yourselves. It's rude to leave food, drinks and nasty stuff in the seats and bleachers. Be considerate - there is a session coming in after you and only a few minutes to clean up after the crowd leaving. If you spill an entire super large coffee from Dunkin Donuts . . . take a minute and tell someone. I'm not saying you have to clean it . . . just tell someone. And if someone is on their hands and knees cleaning that coffee spill, move out of their way.

. . . they are NOT bank tellers, don't come with a pocket of 50s. and if you do, don't be surprised if at 8am they don't have change of a 50 for a $1 bottle of water

In general - be considerate and be nice. Some of these volunteers are on their feet the entire weekend. they do it because they love their gym, their kids and the sport.

That said . . . I'm gonna go soak my feet!

Happy Meet Season Everyone!;)

Oh my I bet that has a story behind it. I think food in the meet gym is such a bad plan.

By the way the only meet I have ever paid to go to has been an international one. I have never been charged to watch my kids compete, just not done here at all.

I agree!! Also just adding don't forget that flash photos are not allowed during the meets it's dangerous.

Also pay attention to your fellow viewers - I can't tell you how many times I've had folks in front of me standing up almost the entire meet and blocking views of the meet. The gym isn't that big really and you don't have to yell at the top of your lungs to show support - I've been at a few meets where I've just about gone deaf from someone next to me screaming for every little thing. Once in a seat if please don't get up and down up and down all through the meet. Nothing worse than every 5 min having to have the whole row move so you can get in and out in and out.

I know some of you want to show family support but really unless the siblings ask to go - they really don't want to be there make it easy on all of us and get a sitter (grandma is always a good choice here). I also don't know of any babies or toddlers that want to be there either - again don't get me wrong here I love babies as much as the next person but a baby or toddler having to be in one place for 4 hours just isn't a good idea - your precious little ones belive it or not CAN make it a few hours with out Mom or Dad.

Oh and the nursing moms PLEASE if you can find a place at the meet besides the bleachers in the middle of the crowd to feed - I am a big advocate for breast feeding - I did it myself but when I am sitting there with my family and friends the last thing I need to see is a mom next to me whipping it out to feed the baby (saw this more than once last year and the mom had no interest in covering up at least. There are lots of places where you can still see and still have some modisty.

Now grabbing my bucket and soaking feet with JessMom ;) Passing soap box to next perosn.

Just before this goes off into a breast feeding debate, DON'T. If you wish to debate public breast feeding, start a new topic in "Off Topic" and then GT will have fun moderating it.

Oh my I bet that has a story behind it. I think food in the meet gym is such a bad plan.

By the way the only meet I have ever paid to go to has been an international one. I have never been charged to watch my kids compete, just not done here at all.

Oh Yea! A story . . . . quite a story . . .

You are so LUCKY! Not to pay! We've paid up to $20 (In CT) per person. Most we've been to are $15 . . . occasionally you get lucky with a $10 meet.

We've paid up to $20 (In CT) per person. Most we've been to are $15 . . . occasionally you get lucky with a $10 meet.
Wowsa! I think the most expensive meet we've been to is $10/person. Most are closer to $8. I think we'd be seriously rethinking how many family members really need to attend the meets if they were $15-$20 a person!

You are so LUCKY! Not to pay! We've paid up to $20 (In CT) per person. Most we've been to are $15 . . . occasionally you get lucky with a $10 meet.

Holy moly, I just cannot imagine. I sure would be leaving my family at home at those rates!

I've paid as little as $3 per person to as much as $25 per person all per session. I feel sorry for the parents that have more than one kid compeating and have to pay for 2 sessions. I've seen too the "weekend" pass for as much as $50 per person for the weekend so you can go to all sessions and I've seen folks pay it. Sorry I'm lucky to make it through my own DD's Session without having to pay again to support another team mate later in the day. Money is just too tight.

holy cow that is expensive. most of ours are $5-7 for adults. Once we went to one that was $10 & HC refuses to go to that anymore due to the cost.

I'll have to tell my husband this. He thought it was ridiculous to pay the $10 for her last meet. That was the most we paid. The least we paid was $0. DD's largest meet (Circle of Stars in Indy) did not charge admission.

I think we'd be seriously rethinking how many family members really need to attend the meets

That might be the point. Some meets are so crowded and so many siblings sitting / laying all over the floors - under your feet etc. Meets at High Schools and Colleges have lots of room - but meets at gyms always feel crowded.

I'm curious - those free meets in Canada . . . . are they crowded? I can't even imagine how crowded a free meet would be here!

What an awesome post! Totally agree with the OP. Hope your feet are feeling better ;).

As to the gate fee.... Usually $10-15 around here. I was so grateful to the one meet that we went to that was ALL spectators free!!! I was so happy, I let the kids shop at the vendors :) (as did most parents). When you don't have top pay at the door I'm more than happy to support the vendors!

Hear, hear, to the op...esp. the part about big bills. We had a guy give us a $100 bill for one admission...we only charged $8 per person!! We aren't the bank! Also, our gym was concerned w the price getting too high, so we capped it at $24. per family...and that included grandparents, etc. We also only charged $5 for kids...under 3 free, and passed out 1/2 off coupons for our students. We went to one in Las Vegas that charged $20 per person and charged $15 for the score sheet( I didn't buy it). no, it wasn't one of those nice programs, either...just the kids names and place to put the scores. Not going back to that one.

lawks ! Ours range from Free to a couple of quid (approx $3), they are never crowded as gymnastics is a limited audience sport in this country. Generally its just the mums that watch.

'margo

I'm curious - those free meets in Canada . . . . are they crowded? I can't even imagine how crowded a free meet would be here!

Totally mobbed. Though they try to keep the flights small, usually two groups of 24 at the same time. We always have a warm up gym and a comp gym and the organisers have to guarantee two seats per competitor, but that is definitely never enough.I have been to meets where I had to stand for the whole thing!

I am in CT and have never paid more than $3 or $5 for adults here. Although I was quite surprised when we transferred from a YMCA gym, where meets were always free, to a private gym, where there was an admission charge :)

I am in CT and have never paid more than $3 or $5 for adults here. Although I was quite surprised when we transferred from a YMCA gym, where meets were always free, to a private gym, where there was an admission charge :)
Even the Y meets charge $5 here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back