WAG Repeating a level but getting worse?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmamabear

Proud Parent
Has anyone's child repeated a level and actually gotten worse? I'm talking upper Levels 9 & 10. Some of my daughters skills are harder and some events have improved and others have gotten worse with the same skills. Why is this? Growth? Does gymnastics ebb and flow? Do you encourage them to wait it out or hang up their grips if they are frustrated? Could they be worse one year and the next be good again once puberty settles down?

Ditto what Seeker said. Also want to add that changes in scoring have resulted in lower scores overall so maybe that’s what you are seeing? I’ve noticed that the kids are still ending up where they usually do on the podium but with lower scores this season...even among those who are repeating a level. At least this is what I’ve noticed with L9.

Are you using scores to determine 'getting worse?' If she is adding more difficult skills or connections/transitions, then you could see scores go down due to consistency and just the difficulty of skills taking a little hit while she perfects them. Also, if she is L9 and trying out 'D' skills to prepare for L10, you do not get bonus in L9 for the D skills, but you do in 10 and it can be beneficial to go ahead and compete them in L9 to get the experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back