Repeating Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question. At the gym my granddaughter goes to they are having her compete level 5 for the 3rd year. She competed 4 at age 6 and then level 5 at age 7 did not go to state that year. Went to state last year at age 8 and did pretty good. Some of her team mates that have stayed at her other gym and are the same age are now competing level 7. Do you think that in the end they will all be in level 10 at the same time or do you think our gym now is holding her back? Her AA score at state finals was 35.350.

There really isn't enough information to know. Each gym's rules are different. Many gyms have a set score that gymnasts need to pass to the next level (often its 36). Some gyms require the girls have all the prerequisite skills for the next level before moving on. For six, that would be a bwo on beam, a free hip and fly-away on bars, a back tuck on floor. These are all hard skills and can cause girls repeat level 5.

It is best to have a meeting with the head coach to discuss progression and future plans. That way you will understand exactly what the coach is thinking.

To answer your first question, no, they probably won't all be in level 10 at the same time, in all honestly, most won't even make it to level 10, and if they do, it probably won't be at the same time since all kids are different and move through the levels at their own (or their gym's own) pace.

My daughter repeated level 4 and she also repeated level 5. She was 6 her first year of level 4. For her, repeating wasn't holding her back, it was having her compete at the level she was most proficient in, while still uptraining and learning new skills. She finished her first year of level 5 with a high of 35, but she was averaging a 34AA, sure she could have moved to level 6, but she would have struggled. Her 2nd year of level 5 she averaged a 36 and had a really great season. She changed gyms, too, and has friends in the same level she is now and some in the next level. Just because some are in a different level at her old gym doesn't mean she would be. No group of kids can progress exactly together because there are so many variables, natural talent, work ethic, injuries, fear issues/blocks, etc.

If she switched gyms, there were obviously reasons, correct (unless of course, she moved away, but still, can't compare gymnasts progress at different gyms because different gyms have different philosophies)? If she is happy at her gym, coming home from gym happy and progressing in her skills, I would imagine her gym has a reason for repeating level 5? Does she have all her level 6 skills? And by repeating, do you mean she is competing level 5 in the spring right now, or have they already said she will compete next year as a level 5 too (that would concern me only because fall is a long time away and she could get her level 6 skills)? As previous poster said, need more background info to say if they are actually holding her back. She is still really young, too, there is no rush.

I have a question. At the gym my granddaughter goes to they are having her compete level 5 for the 3rd year. She competed 4 at age 6 and then level 5 at age 7 did not go to state that year. Went to state last year at age 8 and did pretty good. Some of her team mates that have stayed at her other gym and are the same age are now competing level 7. Do you think that in the end they will all be in level 10 at the same time or do you think our gym now is holding her back? Her AA score at state finals was 35.350.

Her coach could tell you her future potential better than anyone. Is she training level 6 or 7 skills yet? If not then she could have peaked. There are plenty of girls you get to level 5, 6, 7 etc.. and just aren't going any further. Sometimes it's natural ability (strength, flexibility...), sometimes it's work ethic in practice (skipping repetitions, not conditioning intensely), sometimes it's parents (not letting gymnastics be the priority it requires to advance), sometimes it's another sport (diving, softball, track, the possibilities are endless), sometimes it's the coaching/gym (you mentioned she switched gyms maybe the other gym is better or maybe it's just better for the girls that stayed).

If she's a level 5 there's a long road to level 10 (which was your question). Just let her worry about making it to level 6 and just enjoy what she is doing now. If you think her gym is holding her back, meaning their coaching ability is not allowing her to progress then look for a new gym. Or have her evaluated by a coach at another gym in a trial practice and see if another gym thinks they can help her. Keep in mind that they are running a business so most would love to have another paying student. So ask questions about the possibilty of advancement if that is your concern.

But first talk to her current coach.

IMHO, the level a gymnast competes at has little to do with how they will progress in their skills. Each gym has their own way moving up levels. I have seen a range from gyms requiring only the minimum mobility score to move up regardless of having the skills needed for the next level all the way to the other extreme of requiring all the skills for the level above what they are competing and a 38AA. So, you can have a Level 5 gymnast at gym A who is actually "ahead" in terms of skills, and certainly quality of skills of a Level 7 gymnast at gym B. It is more important to look at her training. Is she allowed to up train when she shows mastery of her current level skills? As long as that is happening, then she is not being "held back." What I do know for certain is that girls that are moved through the levels quickly without solid basics will eventually have to catch up somewhere. This may mean 3 years at L7 to get the tougher skills needed for L8, or more often, it may mean dropping out. And, as another poster said, most of them will not get to L10 at all, and those that do will most definitely arrive at different times. My dd started with 15 L4's. Only 6 of them are still in Gymnastics. Currently 2 of them are L8, 2 are L7, 1 is Xcel Platinum, 1 is Xcel Gold and they are at 3 different gyms. And there is still a long road to go before any of them get to L10!

Don't choose a gym based on what level they'll put her in. Choose a gym based on how much she likes it (coaches, teammates, etc) and how well she acquires skills with their coaching. If she's having fun and acquiring new skills and progressing, don't worry about levels, even though they're often seen as the de facto measuring stick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back