WAG [Request] Proposed Changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Valentin

Coach
Hi Everyone

So I have been coaching boys for the past 2 years, and have fallen out of the touch with the girls side of gymnastics. As fate would have it looking for new work, and girls is on the table, but i would like to quickly catch up on what is happening, especially with the new proposed changes.

Can anyone tell me what is going on, or provide me with any preliminary documentation etc.
All help welcome

Thanks,

Hi Everyone

So I have been coaching boys for the past 2 years, and have fallen out of the touch with the girls side of gymnastics. As fate would have it looking for new work, and girls is on the table, but i would like to quickly catch up on what is happening, especially with the new proposed changes.

Can anyone tell me what is going on, or provide me with any preliminary documentation etc.
All help welcome

Thanks,

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/2013-2020Finalelementlist-March2011.pdf

These are the changes that will start in fall of 2013. Is that what you were looking for?

What we know for sure: (per April issue of Technique magazine, page 14.)
For compulsories the level #'s are shifting downward- so new 3 (current 4) all skills stay the same with the option of doing a glide kip mount on bars OR the current glide pull over mount. Also new 5 (current 6) can do a bwo, a back extension roll, OR a BHS step out on beam. Other than that- everything skill wise is the same as present. Only the music and routines will change.

We know nothing for sure about optionals other than the fact that a new level is being added. Optionals will now be level 6-level 10. The PROPOSED changes to optional levels goes something like this:
New level 6- beginner optional- only 1 B skill. Current 7 requires 2 B skills. Also, current 7 allows some UB C skills to be performed at B value. I understand this will not be an option.
New level 7- advanced beginner optional- 2 or 3 B skills and some C skills will count toward B value. Current level 8 requires 4 B skills and gives some B credit for C skills.
New level 8- intermediate optional- 4 B skills and one C skill allowed per event for B credit. Similar to current level 8, but only allowable C skills presently are dance and certain UB skills.
New level 9- Beginner optional- unchanged. 4 B skills, 1 C skill and 1 D/E skill for C credit.
New level 10- advanced optional- unchanged- 3 B skills, 2 C skills, and bonuses awarded for difficulty and connection.

There has been chatter that the "new" level 6 might not be a required competitive level. If that comes to fruition, I guess there would be criteria- either from USGA or from the gyms/coaches that would allow mobility from "new" level 5 to "new" level 7.

I hope this helps, and best of luck on your job search! (FYI- we REALLY need an optional WAG coach! ;) )

They changes in level 6-8 is what I don't get. The original intent, as I had read about, was to make a new level 8 to make the jump to 9 easier. The way it is proposed, it looks like it is the jump from 7 to L8 that will be easier but L8 to 9 will be the same. Obviously, there is one more year there for uptraining. But a lot of gyms don't uptrain beyond one year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Other than that- everything skill wise is the same as present. Only the music and routines will change.

This isn't entirely true... The dive roll is gone from Level 4 (old L5) floor, the bars in L2 and L3 (old L3 and 4) has the option of a basket swing instead of a mill circle... The vault for the lower level compulsories are changing, etc.

There has been chatter that the "new" level 6 might not be a required competitive level. If that comes to fruition, I guess there would be criteria- either from USGA or from the gyms/coaches that would allow mobility from "new" level 5 to "new" level 7.

I really think that I've only heard this rumor here on the CB. And honestly, I'm thinking that the confusion came from calling Level 6 an "optional" level. I believe that what is meant by that is that it is optional as opposed to compulsory (as L6 is currently compulsory). Not optional as opposed to required. ;)

I really think that I've only heard this rumor here on the CB. And honestly, I'm thinking that the confusion came from calling Level 6 an "optional" level. I believe that what is meant by that is that it is optional as opposed to compulsory (as L6 is currently compulsory). Not optional as opposed to required. ;)

No, this is coming from USAG. It is on documentation regarding the proposed changes that L6 may not be a mobility requirment. I am on my phone absurd is too difficult to search for the off, but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I will link it later today.

No, this is coming from USAG. It is on documentation regarding the proposed changes that L6 may not be a mobility requirment. I am on my phone absurd is too difficult to search for the off, but if someone doesn't beat me to it, I will link it later today.

I did a quick search and found this:

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=9249&prog=w

Which clearly states that competition would be required at Levels 4+. However, I'm not sure how old that information is and how much it has changed since being released. If anyone has a link to more updated info, I'd love if you could pass it along. :)

Here is the link to the survey questions, (which has now ended,) that mentions the possibility of no level 6 competition.
https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=9249&prog=h

Amanda Lynn is correct- it looks as though the dive roll is gone and I did forget to mention about the option of mill/stride circle or basket swing at new level 3. We never competed the dive roll vault- so it looks like the level 1 straight jump, kick to handstand fall to flat back, and the level 2 jump to handstand and the level 3 handstand to flat back vaults will be the same as how we've been doing them- in this state at least.

AHH! I didn't read inside the parenthesis. That was my mistake. Personally, I think it is silly and would further complicate the system to not require at least a mobility score at that level. Why create the level if it is not "necessary". ya know?

AHH! I didn't read inside the parenthesis. That was my mistake. Personally, I think it is silly and would further complicate the system to not require at least a mobility score at that level. Why create the level if it is not "necessary". ya know?

Honestly, I think all the mobility scores are useless. They are too low to reasonably demonstrate mastery - and mastery at one level doesn't ensure readiness for the next level. As for skipping L6, it seems like the jump from new L5 to new L7 will be fairly easy for high talent girls. Maybe they are taking that into account. But since L6 will be optionals, it would be easy to make routines that satisfy L6 and L7 requirements, for a test out meet.

I have a feeling L6 will end up being a required level in the end.

I hope this helps, and best of luck on your job search! (FYI- we REALLY need an optional WAG coach! ;) )

What a small world... The day after I left this post we got an email that YOU were coming to check out our gym. My little one trained with you today, and was incredibly positive about the experience. I was sure she would grump about the early a.m. conditioning, but she said it was great that you actually moved their bodies into the correct position without hurting them and that you gave lots of compliments along with the corrections!

I know you have lots to consider, but regardless of your decision I am sure you will be well received at whatever gym you choose. (Although I am terribly biased and think you should choose us! haha!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back