Parents Resources for mental training for teens

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MidwesternGymMom

Proud Parent
Looking for resource recommendations for mental toughness training for my 16 year old. She has historically been mentally tough at meets and placed extremely well. The last few meets have been tough. She looks fearful, not aggressive and is commenting that she is extremely nervous and feels as though her nerves are out of control. She hits nearly every routine in practice and then the last few meets she has just had some very uncharacteristic errors, but mostly looks shaky and scared. She balked on a skill for the first time ever in competition this weekend. I am concerned this is starting to spiral out of control. She is getting really down on herself because she knows she is not competing like she practices.

Looking for resource recommendations for mental toughness training for my 16 year old. She has historically been mentally tough at meets and placed extremely well. The last few meets have been tough. She looks fearful, not aggressive and is commenting that she is extremely nervous and feels as though her nerves are out of control. She hits nearly every routine in practice and then the last few meets she has just had some very uncharacteristic errors, but mostly looks shaky and scared. She balked on a skill for the first time ever in competition this weekend. I am concerned this is starting to spiral out of control. She is getting really down on herself because she knows she is not competing like she practices.

Maybe she needs a break. Has her enthusiasm changed?

You are describing my daughter exactly.

Doc Ali (HeadGames) and Stacey Herman (Athletes Who Settle for More) on Facebook both have resources for mental toughness. Stacey does Facetime sessions if you're interested in specific one on one mentoring.

Sorry to hear your gymnast is struggling. I understand all too well. ((hugs))

Are there resources other than Doc Ali? I have a DD who has been dealing with some mental blocks as well, but given her involvement in the Nassar situation, I'd prefer not to support her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back