Revese grip cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I need some drills for training a reverse grip cast to handstand (or at least close enough to handstand for giants)

I have two boys who are ready to learn giants (they're working back giants and I want them to learn front ones as well), but both of them, on a reverse grip cast, drop their shoulders too much and essentially just do a forward roll.

Any particular drills to fix this?

This was not on high bar, but we started standing on a block, holding the bar in reverse grip, and basically pressing to HS, then there was a crash mat behind the bar so we fell straight over to our backs. And the block got lower so it was harder (they can kind of jump). Once we had the reverse grip cast, we started from that and changed to a little lower mat stack with a wedge on top (higher part in front of the bar) and then dropped to our back onto that (so the feet fell lower.

We also did a lot of conditioning like HS hold against the wall in reverse grip on floor bars. Basically just a lot of HS work in reverse grip on a floor bar.

How high can they regularly cast? Does the same thing happen when they cast from an overgrip?

While it sounds like they understand the shoulder lean and feet in front, perhaps they simply do not have the strength to get out of that position. How high can they regularly cast?

I generally have the boys work bounce handstand off a mini tramp in both grips as well as eventually pirouetting off.

Other than that, the rest is basically physical preparation and spotting. Reverse grip planche supports. Reverse grip single rail dips Reverse grip pseudo-planche pushups with their hands underneath their ribs and eventually underneath their hips.

Ever try the drill on pbars where there hips are on one bar higher than the other bar which they hold. They then swing their legs and get into the handstand. It tends to arch, but just swing handstand on P's they have to start somewhere, eventually learning how to pop to the hollow at the top.

How high can they regularly cast? Does the same thing happen when they cast from an overgrip?
One can cast to handstand (though it's a bit archy), and one can cast to about 45 degrees below handstand.

While it sounds like they understand the shoulder lean and feet in front, perhaps they simply do not have the strength to get out of that position. How high can they regularly cast?

I generally have the boys work bounce handstand off a mini tramp in both grips as well as eventually pirouetting off.

Other than that, the rest is basically physical preparation and spotting. Reverse grip planche supports. Reverse grip single rail dips Reverse grip pseudo-planche pushups with their hands underneath their ribs and eventually underneath their hips.

Ever try the drill on pbars where there hips are on one bar higher than the other bar which they hold. They then swing their legs and get into the handstand. It tends to arch, but just swing handstand on P's they have to start somewhere, eventually learning how to pop to the hollow at the top.

Thanks!

How much have they worked the undergrip cast to handstand? It could just be a matter of not figuring it out yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back