Off Topic Rewriting Songs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Check out this article I found while doing some research for a website.

Rewriting Rap to Empower Teens - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

I think it is a really good idea. I like the tune of the song "You and Your Hand" by Pink and one line but everything else is objectional. So I decided I'd just rewrite the lyrics and sing that to myself! Anyone else have any songs that they like something about but the rest is objectional, boring, dumb, or whatever! Then just rewrite the words! :)

The most objectional part of the Pink song to me is that fact that the title is actually "U+Ur Hand" or something equally dumb.

I just hate how some songs are not considered objectionable because the artist is socially acceptable for whatever reason. Example: Carrie Underwood (who has a suprising talent at creating songs that I find pretty pathological) and whatever that song is about jacking up the guy's car. Seriously? These are okay morals? Sure some other songs might have a few more crude words thrown in but the morality is not really much more objectionable to me. And yet Underwood is practically revered in some circles...

The pervasive themes in pop culture are kind of scary when you think about it but I'm not a very conservative person in general when it comes to social themes so I don't really know. I'm mostly concerned with the violence and disrespect for humanity that saturates current pop culture. My friends dragged me to "Wanted" (I had no idea what it was) and it was one of the most horrible, horrible things I've ever seen. But it's not just violence, it's the culture of disrespect and callousness as well that pervades entertainment. I was floored at how completely undisturbed people were by it. It was just nothing. I couldn't tolerate that movie, that was way too much.

I don't watch TV that much anymore. I could care less about nudity or other themes that are largely considered "adult" (as opposed to the completely disturbing violence...all right I'll leave it alone). I've changed a lot from recent events but it all just seems so laughably shallow and violence is nothing or even celebrated. Yeah right. The kind of devastation that violence and guns leave in their wake is so unspeakably different from what "Wanted" is trying to sell you. "Real World" is vapid but it's the fighting and self absorbed attitudes displayed on that show that bother me a lot more than the random drunken hook ups.

I thought this thread was going to be about something else. Two years ago our pole vault coach thought he was hip and always said, "ride your 2 and you'll be riding dirty-like the song!" So we made up pole vault lyrics to riding dirty...the entire thing! It took forever, but he loved it.

The most objectional part of the Pink song to me is that fact that the title is actually "U+Ur Hand" or something equally dumb.

I just hate how some songs are not considered objectionable because the artist is socially acceptable for whatever reason. Example: Carrie Underwood (who has a suprising talent at creating songs that I find pretty pathological) and whatever that song is about jacking up the guy's car. Seriously? These are okay morals? Sure some other songs might have a few more crude words thrown in but the morality is not really much more objectionable to me. And yet Underwood is practically revered in some circles...

The pervasive themes in pop culture are kind of scary when you think about it but I'm not a very conservative person in general when it comes to social themes so I don't really know. I'm mostly concerned with the violence and disrespect for humanity that saturates current pop culture. My friends dragged me to "Wanted" (I had no idea what it was) and it was one of the most horrible, horrible things I've ever seen. But it's not just violence, it's the culture of disrespect and callousness as well that pervades entertainment. I was floored at how completely undisturbed people were by it. It was just nothing. I couldn't tolerate that movie, that was way too much.

I don't watch TV that much anymore. I could care less about nudity or other themes that are largely considered "adult" (as opposed to the completely disturbing violence...all right I'll leave it alone). I've changed a lot from recent events but it all just seems so laughably shallow and violence is nothing or even celebrated. Yeah right. The kind of devastation that violence and guns leave in their wake is so unspeakably different from what "Wanted" is trying to sell you. "Real World" is vapid but it's the fighting and self absorbed attitudes displayed on that show that bother me a lot more than the random drunken hook ups.

I totally agree about TV. My family hardly watchs TV. And it's like people are taking their five year old daughters to see Dark Knight! I'm like "hello people! WAKE UP!!!" I just hate the violence that is potrayed in movies and how everyone finds it ok. I've never heard of Wanted (and don't want too) but it doesn't suprise me. There are three different rated R movies coming out and they all have to do with violence. Yeek, freaks me out people would even want to go see those!

What I find objectional about Pink's song is the whole touching me and stuff. But that is just my beliefs as a person. I actually don't really mind "Before He Cheats". My mom won't let me have the song on my Ipod and stuff, which I'm ok with, but I like a couple of her other songs. Not alot though.

Anyways to get back on topic. Sorry if you are disappointed gracefulone! That sounds fun what you guys did. Although personally I really don't like Christina how ever you spell her last name.

Ridin' Dirty is by some rap group with really bad words in it.

The sond 'Dirty' is by Christina A....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back