WAG Righty or lefty gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

katie_01

Gymnast
I'm having trouble with my full twist layouts lately. I get confused mid air as to which way I am twisting. I also have trouble with my turns, I dont know which side I'm stronger on as I can turn on both legs. Is there a way for me to know which side gymnast I am? I cartwheel with my left leg first, I lunge with my right leg first, I kick with my right leg first, and my right side is more flexible.

I think it sounds like you're probably right side dominant. People who are right side dominant tend to twist to the left. The important thing though is to try to develop some consistency so you don't get confused.

I'm wondering which side you round-off because a left hand round-off is a right twist, but sets you up for a left twist on the rebound, and vice-versa.

One way to tell which side you twist is to put some pressure on it. Try full twist jumps in either direction and see if one side is better than the other. If its not clear increase to a 1 1/2 twist jump. If you can do that aim for a double twist. See which side breaks down first. You can try it on a trampo

To be clear you don't need total consistency, but you need enough to not get confused and to be able to join things together.

My guess is that you twist left going forwards, and round-off right (so that's also a left twist) which sets up a right twist because your right shoulder has further to travel coming from your hands to your feet so it's pulling back. Then you full to the right, which is fine in itself. It's not uncommon to twist the opposite direction on back tumbling to forwards tumbling. The problem being that once you've completed the first half twist you are then rotating forwards and might start to feel like you should be twisting the other way.

Some people twist opposite directions front and back just fine without getting confused, and you might just make your peace with it. You also can do a left twisting full off a right handed round-off although it feels less obvious as a connection. Another option is to change the direction of your round-off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back