MAG Rings at home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
Does anyone have a ring setup at home? This is the only thing my ds has requested for his birthday. I'm not sure if this is a good idea and how to set them up. I saw a fitness ring set that looked good, but then I read on the site that they shouldn't be used for swinging elements. I don't think we could put up rings and say no swinging. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

yes. the expensive way is to purchase a free standing rig. and you could probably purchase a used set.

the cheap way is to drill 4 post holes, filled with cement, and the cable fastener cemented and bolted down. then you would only have to purchase a ring rig. the post holes would have to be to spec also. a 'fence' person would be able to do this for you.

see your club owner. they will know where to go look for this. if not, pm me and i'll give you a couple of sources.

Honestly, I wouldn't use rings at home for anything other than strength; I don't think it would be a good idea to work swinging skills at home.

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid an elaborate and expensive setup. My inclination was to get the fitness rings and mount them into the ceiling beams in the garage. I am nervous about it though. Maybe I can tell him no swinging, but I think when he asked for rings, that's what he's picturing himself doing. I'll definitely make a no flyaways rule and take them down if he breaks it.

It depends on what level he is at too.

I have a set of rings at home that hang off the chin up bar. They are enough to practise strength, baskets, dorsal etc.

If you were able to get a set of extreme rings then these could be hung from beams in ceiling and could also be used for muscle ups if he is up to that level.

Would avoid swings though, these are not designed for this. Best to leave swings to the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back