MAG Rips and Hand Sanitizer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Kegler

Proud Parent
How are your gyms dealing with the combination of rips and hand sanitizer? Our gym is opening on 7/1. The plan is for everyone to have their own straps for the strap bar and to also wear cotton gloves. No work on the regular high bar. They will slowly have to get everyone's hands into shape because rips and hand sanitizer do not mix.

How are your gyms dealing with the combination of rips and hand sanitizer? Our gym is opening on 7/1. The plan is for everyone to have their own straps for the strap bar and to also wear cotton gloves. No work on the regular high bar. They will slowly have to get everyone's hands into shape because rips and hand sanitizer do not mix.

Lots of hand washing.....especially for those with rips.

Reactions: sce
“Hand sanitizer will be used upon entry and upon completion of each event.”

Hmm. no clue. I would think there would have to be another plan. That will not be good for rips. I think at our gym, they are washing if they are unable to use sanitizer.

It’s likely that those are health department rules...

If that is the case then they might just have to power thru. Most guidance I have seen from health deptartments has been hand washing or sanitizer. But that would be a question to ask your gym.

I don’t know, maybe hand washing will just take too long given there are only a couple of sinks.

I don’t know, maybe hand washing will just take too long given there are only a couple of sinks.

I can see that, but not everyone will have rips. I think that some "on the fly" judgement calls can be made. If you have a rip, you wash. Otherwise, you use sanitizer. I cannot imagine making those kiddos with rips use hand sanitizer over and over.

My son had a coach that used to tell kids to put sanitizer on new rips. Luckily, there was usually a mom in the lobby to stop them and send them to the sinks for soap and water.

Actually, the issue is slightly different. The coach is planning on extensive strap work plus they will be wearing cotton gloves, all in the interest of preventing rips and slowly getting their callouses back. I hadn't heard that approach anywhere else here which is why i posted my initial comment.

Ah, gotcha.

We are not doing much different that I am aware of. COach did a very slow build up on bars/rings/pommel for the guys that needed it. A few went too hard and ripped, but they are really taking their time. We do not have cotton gloves or anything like that. I know that they have been doing less on the bars/pommels than they usually would to builid all of that back up.

Maybe try and sanitizer around where the rip is...apply carefully as it were. Backs of hands and maybe fingers but not across the palm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back