rips...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd's hands look terrible...does anyone have any suggestions to help the rips? She uses grips and is training L6..

Thanks!!!

That is so odd that she is getting rips while using grips, I haven't gotten more than 2 or 3 rips since getting my grips which was like 3 years ago! I would check to make sure they are the right size and that she is putting them on tightly enough as to they don't rub on her skin irritating it further :) Hopefully that helped! Rips are not fun! :(

Unfortunately some kids are just prone to rip more than others- no matter if they are wearing grips or not. A lot of my girls use Hand-e-Balm to help heal rips, but there are other products out there as well.

If she is still trying to do bars with her hands ripped I would recommend getting a round makeup sponge and cutting out the middle to create a "donut." The hole can then be placed over her rip and taped on to help keep the friction from making it worse. I hope that helps!

She is using Gibson buckle grips...she has had them for a year, so they are broken in. I would say her hands are small, but maybe in the gym world they are not :) These are the grips her coach likes her to wear...she has been doing kip-cast-handstands, giants, free hips to handstands, free hips, baby giants and flyaways. Do you think training those skills has something to do with it? She just started with giants, kip cast to handstands and free hips to handstands...

Thanks!

I have no insight on preventing rips. However, as a trauma nurse, I'm an expert at healing wounds.

Overnight, or any period of time that she can keep her hands covered (i.e. day off from gym) clean the wound, apply bacitracin or neosporin and then xeroform gauze. Cover with dry 4x4 gauze, then curlix or 3 inch gauze (that comes in a roll) that you can wrap around the hand would be ideal. If you do that at night her rips will heal very quickly.

These types of wounds need moisture to heal and that is what the xeroform gauze http://www.imed.com/shop/detail.cfm?sku=K1156&rfr=FRG&zmam=1000941&zmas=21&zmac=102&zmap=K1156 provides.

Good luck!

One thing many gymnasts find helpful is to put prep H on the rip and then a clean sock over their hand/s at bedtime. Seems to work well when my gymmie gets rips. Also have her rub a pumice stone on her hands at night---keeps those calluses down.

Check to make sure her grips haven't stretched too much and actually are sliding or are loose---since they're a year old, that could be part of the problem because with the skills she's working, she is grip/regriping alot(lots of torque on the hands). My gymmie's hands were like raw meat during her L6 season. I won't say grips "cured" things, but helped some once she started using them for the giants etc.

Another treatment is to use vitamin E tablets. Cut open the end and dab some on. Then cover the rip with Band - Aids. My DD sleeps with them on. It takes a couple days and then the rip is better.

Preventing.. my question is where are her rips? On her palms or down on her wrists? that would help tell where she needs some more protection. My DD no longer gets rips on her palms. She gets them where her hand meets her wrists.

i am usually prone to rips too

so i know how your DD feels

i have this stuff called Bag balm that works like magic

i think you can ge it at any pharmacy store in the baby section i think it is supposed to be used for diaper rashes
BUT
it was originally made for cow udders (i know ew)
but you put some on the rip at night and put a sock over it

usually after 2-3 nights the rip is healed and better than ever

hope that helps
:)

I have no insight on preventing rips. However, as a trauma nurse, I'm an expert at healing wounds.

Overnight, or any period of time that she can keep her hands covered (i.e. day off from gym) clean the wound, apply bacitracin or neosporin and then xeroform gauze. Cover with dry 4x4 gauze, then curlix or 3 inch gauze (that comes in a roll) that you can wrap around the hand would be ideal. If you do that at night her rips will heal very quickly.

These types of wounds need moisture to heal and that is what the xeroform gauze http://www.imed.com/shop/detail.cfm?sku=K1156&rfr=FRG&zmam=1000941&zmas=21&zmac=102&zmap=K1156 provides.

Good luck!

this is what my mom did for me when i was younger a couple of my girls use it who are extremly prone to rips..my L6 just got a horrable one last week poor thing but she used this idea and its helped so much...

I still swear by shaving my hands. It sound gross, but if there's too much dead skin built up on her palms then eventually it has to come off, and if you don't take it off yourself, then it's going to want to stay on the bar when her hands are somewhere else. Just take an old razor and slide it gently across the hand. A small layer of skin should come off and you can't even feel it. The only way to tell is that the calluses are much smaller. I shave my hands about after each hard bars workout. It might sound gross but I know I'm not the only one that does it and it surely beats rips.

When you do rip though putting Band-aid Active flex bandaids help a ton. They have "advanced healing powers" and it stays on for a long time and it acts like skin, so once it's on there you can push on the rip and it doesn't hurt.

Yikes...I don't doubt that it works but it sure sounds painful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I don't shave my hands. I don't rip a lot either but I had a rip for my last meet and I was like nervous cuz I hadn't competed on a rip before but I was fine

Thanks so much for all of the ideas...we tried the PrepH and that helped when they were so bad---I am trying to convince her to sleep in socks with lotion of some type. I might try and look for that bag balm tomorrow. We are also going to look at her grips...maybe it is time for a new pair. I hadn't thought of that! She is mostly getting the rips on the part of the hand that meets the wrist...it doesn't look like a part that would be protected by grips, but I will ask her. She is kind of picky about her wristbands...she hates terrycloth and likes this other type. I cannot think right now of the brand...anyhow--thank again! I am sure we will be going through this for a while! BTW---shaving your hands? I have never heard of anything like that...I am impressed you don't cut yourself! I don't know if we will ever be at that point...but if we get there I am sure we would need some type of a lesson! :)

Level six is like the perfect time to get grips i think. I cant live without my grips now. Lol

Ya like i used to HATE grips cuz they felt funny. then i stated six and well I cant live with out them.... huh lime green fire...... yes i know her in real life. We go to the same gym :) its tori Rena

If her rips haven't healed by now, that's not good! It all depends on where the rips are...One time I had a rip the size of a quarter on my hand and 6 other small ones when I came to my new gym. Then, I got 7 more on my wrists when my coach made me switch grip manufacturers. UGH!
BOTH:
-try putting some Hand-E-Balm on it and use VITAMIN E Tablets, cut the end open then put a band-aid on it. however, the vitamin E doesn't last that long, which is why you need hand-e-balm too. Make sure that you cover the rip during the day!!! let it air out for a about an hour, and keep a sock on it at night. go to your local walgreens and buy some burn relief things, as well as the band-aid blister pack. try to buy some Solarcaine, although this may sting...it helps!
Hand:
-make a tape grip for practice to go underneath your grip, or buy a finger grip at the us.glove online store
-take advil before bars!!!
Wrist:
-while putting on your grips...buy solarcaine and spray it on your rip, then put vaseline on top of that to make it not as dry, then, put a not-blown-up balloon on top of that. wrap tape over that to make it stay. when one balloon is acting like the skin, the other side is being rubbed up and down. it helps. then...put one wrap around of prewrap, tape again, and if you can fit it, a very skinny gel shoe insert for your arches. tape again.
YOU could be getting the rips if your grips are too tight or if the wristbands are bad
-ADVIL BEFORE BARS
HOPE IT HELPS...although it may not seem like it, they WILL go away!

i get rips ALL the timee... i use dowel grips and train L7. at the moment i have 4 rips on my hands. it hurts like crazyy and it restricts me on bars cause just during warm ups they start bleeding. i hate itt! what i do is every night put lots of neosporin on each one then tape my hands and in the morning they look alot better! just next practice they rip open again, they need some time to heal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back