Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How long do your rips take to heal?
Last time i ripped it took weeks to heal properly and i couldn't do bars properly for ages. I had like 1 small rip on each hand but every time i went back on bars they re-ripped - even after having like 4 days off. I ripped again last wednesday, 3 rips that were small but were bleeding etc. (ew) but they healed quite well and i was like cool i'll be straight back on bars (i hadn't been on bars for days after i ripped either) and went on bars yesterday and they ripped again! Were bleeding etc. and now they're even worse and i'm worried i may not be able to go on bars tomorrow :( Bars is the only thing i'm good at!

I take good care of my rips so i dunno why they take so long to heal, like weeks. I use diluted surgical spirit, and also frequently put antiseptic cream and chapstick on them. My coach doesn't even seem to care - she used to but now she's probably so fed up of me ripping!

I can try taping them up for bars i guess but that doesn't really do anything. IS it supposed to take this long for them to heal, and is there anything else i can do? I don't care about the pain or anything i just wanna go on bars!

Sometimes rips do take a while to heal, I know when I was training twice a week, I was re-ripping almost every class. I finally got fed up and got grips, which REALLY reduce ripping. I don't know if grips are an option for you, but I found a good pair of velro grips for about 20$US.

Now when I rip I use 'Handebalm', which, though it is kind of expensive, is well worth the investment, as a)it speeds up the healing(when I first used it, they healed in half the time it normally took), and b)can be put on almost immediately after you rip, and it doesn't sting.

Thanks guys. And gymgrl youre really lucky!

I have really good quality grips that cost like $40 (well they cost 25 British pounds which i estimate at around 40 dollars??) but they don't stop rips. Infact my guards are covered in blood from rips!
Until 3 months ago i hadn't been on bars in like... 6 years cause i was a tumbler, so i guess my hands just need to toughen up. But it's still weird for the rips to take so long to heal >_<

Mine take 2 days to get back to doing bars. We do bars every other day. But if we do it 2 days in a row, and right after I rip, I put water in (it stings though) and put chalk in every time I chalk up, it makes it bearable to do bars for the rest of practice, however it's still not fabulous. The other night on bars, we did 10 sets of 5 kips. Almost everyone ripped atleast once, and I was lucky and got 3. Some girls were over 5.. but we all got through it, an no one died. ha.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back