Parents Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

I know this question gets asked a lot but I don't have time to search through all the old posts so I'll ask it again. What is the best way to treat rips from bars? Is it best to keep them covered? When, at night or during the day? My dd is 7, and is in school all day so I don't think keeping them covered all day would work with how many times they wash their hands. I've been putting lotion on them for her at night but just wonder what else there is to try. The one broke open last night and she said it really hurt. Anyone try neosporin with pain reliever on rips? I just don't know what the best thing is to try. Her hands have held up pretty well until the last week or so. Thanks!

Just dip or wipe her hands with Acetone (nail polish remover). And Whalla!

Kidding - DON'T DO THAT!! :D

From what I've read, Prep-H does wonders, plus and other hand lotions at night. Use pumice stones to shave down callus build-up when it becomes noticable, and before it rips in the first place.

I think that's right. :confused::confused::confused:

FWIW: When I told my daughter that rips were a 'right of passage' and congratuated her... she got pretty excited about em. She'll still tape em up, but will also show them off too.

I was totally confused on rips care when DD got her first one. Here is my thread on it, had some great info. I decided to treat it like a burn and that made a big difference in how I decided to treat it. Rips care?

I use a moist healing type bandage. Not at the gym, but as soon as she gets home, we wash it with THIS and then I put THIS on it. I got it at Walgreens. I cut a piece just a little bigger than the rip. I stays on for at least a day usually, then I put another one on and by the next gym day they are usually better. It lasts a long time because they are big sheets. It keeps the rip clean and allows for moist healing, like with a burn. Make sure to clip the extra skin off as well.

We also file any calluses she develops and put Bag Balm on her hands after we do that.

The thing that I use on her is similar to the DuoDerm referenced in this article, great article on rips.
Frederick Gymnastics

mariposamama ~ Thank you so much for the tip on the first aid pads. I'm going to pick some up tonight on the way home from work! I'll let you know how they work out!

I love those things. They keep it moist, clean and it isn't painful to go about the usual activities. I am a nurse, and I decided I would treat her rips like a burn and so far, so good. I really try to keep her callouses filed down as well.

I use the Mr. Pumice pumi-bar on her hands when they have callouses. I get mine at Sally's Beauty, but if you don't have a Sally's near you, you can find them online. I use them on my feet as well and LOVE them. My favorite pumice. :D

I have had some experience with rips. DD has had some bad ones before she got grips, during level 5. To the point she was bleeding on the bar. We have hand e balm and that helps. Trim all the excess skin.

If you have to compete with a bad rip. Here is some advise the older girls on our team gave us. Put Liquid Bandaid on the rip. It puts a protective coating over the open skin. It seemed to help and at least allow her to compete in her meet.

DD has been doing a lot of bars lately. Her hands have been red and sore, but not ripped. At night I rubbed them with handebalm and then put a lot of lotion with shea butter over it to form a coating. Then she slept with white cotton socks on. In the am the looked much better.

I love LiquidBand-Aid for my cuts, etc, but my daughter refuses it. It really burns when you first put it on.

Thanks Mariposa I will have to pick up some of those band aids.I am and hand e balm fan my dd was having troubles with her hands and I started putting hand e balm at night with gloves I use it on nights when they are starting to look rough or really red I will also use it everynight the week before a meet .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back