RO-BHS-BT Mental Block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Hi,
I have a mock meet coming up in early January and a real one soon after that. My only problem is on floor. I have this mental block against RO-BHS-BT! I can do it perfectly with a spot and even when she just stands there and doesn't spot, but when she doesn't stand here, I can't do it! It is so frustrating since I used to be able to do it when she wasn't even on the floor. Help me please!

No suggestions... just commiseration. My DD is still struggling with her ROBHSBT. She's half way through the season and it's still not consistant, still not pretty. Just the other day, I said something to her HC about this being the first year that she has struggled with tumbling... usually floor and beam are neck-and-neck for her best event (this year it seems to be beam and vault). HC answered, "Well, this is the first year she's flipping, and she's afraid of flipping. It will come." I wasn't thinking of it as a fear issue. I was just thinking that it was a skill she hadn't quite "gotten" yet. So, I guess this isn't uncommon, and according to DD's HC, "It will come." Sorry... that's all I got.

You'll probably want to hit me after I say this, so I apologise in advance:

Don't worry about it.
If you don't have it back in time, what is the worst that can happen?

I know it is rubbish when you know you can do it and it is even worse when everyone else around you can do it and you want to so badly but seriously, it isn't worth doing if you aren't 100% confident.
I have a gymnast who sounds just like you and we've just learned together that she will do it in her own time. It's not the end of the world if she doesn't compete it.
I bet you as soon as the pressure is off you will be ok!

Practical solutions - Do them into a pit or onto a softer landing surface. Do bhsbt on a trampoline

Good luck!

I am really hoping adrenaline will do it's job, it's worked for me before! Our gym doesn't have a pit and we probably have the world's smallest trampoline - the smallest girl can't fit a BHS on it without someone standing at the end to catch her so when it comes to fear, we really can't do anything but suck it up and go for it. I may just have to "man up" like my coach says and just do it since it's required.

What our coach does with issues like that is she starts spotting, then stands and then takes a step back and then another and another until she is at a point where the gymnast is comfortable to do it buy themselves

I've got my fingers crossed that adrenaline will do it's job. Is there a deduction for coa he's being on the floor as long as they don't spot? I'm Canadian level two which is the equivelent of level 6.

The canadian system follows FIG so coaches are not allowed on the floor except to reach on to put in or pull off a mat. Coaches can stand near the vault I think here, at the end of beam for dismount only, anywhere on bars and no where on the floor.

The canadian system follows FIG so coaches are not allowed on the floor except to reach on to put in or pull off a mat. Coaches can stand near the vault I think here, at the end of beam for dismount only, anywhere on bars and no where on the floor.
Thanks! I don't think my gym even knew this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back