Parents ROBHS in level 3 floor routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
Hi. Pretty recently my daughter has started struggling to do her ROBHS in her floor routine for Level 3. She's been doing it for months- and has even done a ROBHSBHS multiple times. I think it is mostly nerves. What would the deduction be for just doing a round off in the floor routine? They have an in house meet with judges coming up. For her sake, I hope she is able to do it! How about the deduction for a spot? I'm not even sure if that is an option with our gym. Thanks! I'm sure this isn't the first time, she will struggle with a skill she already has.

Its basically a point off if you dont do it. Its .5 for the value of the skill and .5 for not doing it. I think a spot is .5 off as well and you get any deductions for form on top of that. from what I understand its pretty much the same to do it with a spot as to not do it at all. Many girls on our team competed without it this year the scores were typically low to mid 7s.

My daughter could not do the back handspring the first level 3 meet then did it with a spot at two other meets. My understanding (pretty new here so definitely could be wrong) was that the back handspring was worth 7 tenths of a point. They could take off once the spotter touched her up to the value of the skill depending on how much the judges thought she needed help. For my daughter the spotter was mainly because of her mental issues she could definitely do the skill after the first meet. Her score definitely went up with the spotter versus not doing the skill at all and she didn't seem to get a deduction if the spotter was just on the floor not touching her (again it was all in my daughters head but she felt better having them out there "in case" I guess). According to our coaches if they don't do the backhandspring and just the round off make sure she still does the rebound or she will lose points for that too because it's roundoff backhandspring rebound.

In my observation, routines without the BHS can score similarly to routines with big form issues on the ROBHS. If she's nervous about the ROBHS and her coach wants her to leave it out, I'd talk this up as a positive thing--you will have more fun and be able to concentrate better on the rest of the routine because you won't be worrying about the ROBHS, and you can add it back in when you are ready.

No, leaving out a skill is double the value of the skill. That means 1.2 points because a BHS is worth .6 . If the coach spots her, she loses .5 plus any form deductions. So lets say her routine is perfect except she leaves out the BHS: she scores an 8.800. Now, if her routine is perfect except the coach spots her: she scores a 9.5.

What would be the deductions for a really froggy BHS: bent legs, separated legs, feet not pointed, arms bent, etc.?

I thought the deductions wouldn't be more than the value of the skill?

No, many skills can have more deductions than the value of the skill. For example, the dreaded mill circle is worth .4, but hooking your knee is a .5 dedication. Plus, you can lose for not showing clear support at the beginning and/or end of the skill, bent legs, flexed feet......the list goes on.

Thanks for all the answers. She wanted to go practice on a friend's trampoline this morning- and she did a ton in row. I know it is different on a trampoline but she seems to think she's past the mental block, so I will take that as a positive! She seems very relieved. We'll see how practice goes Friday night and she can do whatever her coach wants her to do for the meet. I've just tried to encourage her that this is just one meet and she will have lots of opportunities to do it in the future. I'm thankful that I've been able to read on chalk bucket that it is not unusual for skills to come and go.

I have been told by a judge that the deduction for a spot is .5, however they can also take "up to the value of the skill" if the judge feels the coach facilitated the skill. I am pretty sure that they are considering it an "incomplete element" if they feel as though the athlete would not have performed it without the spot. That would be an (up to) 1.1 deduction for this particular element. Plus applicable form deductions.

As mentioned above, "deliberate omission of a skill" is double the value, or in this case 0.6*2= a flat 1.2

I have been told by a judge that the deduction for a spot is .5, however they can also take "up to the value of the skill" if the judge feels the coach facilitated the skill. I am pretty sure that they are considering it an "incomplete element" if they feel as though the athlete would not have performed it without the spot. That would be an (up to) 1.1 deduction for this particular element. Plus applicable form deductions.

As mentioned above, "deliberate omission of a skill" is double the value, or in this case 0.6*2= a flat 1.2
Yes, if it appears the coach did most of the work, they do not get credit for the skill. Plus the .5 for the spot.

I thought the deductions wouldn't be more than the value of the skill?
No, it can totally be more. For instance, the Handstand on beam in level 4: worth either .4 or .6, I can't remember off hand. But, don't go to vertical up to .3, don't hold it 1 second .1, don't join the feet side-by-side .1, bent knees up to .3, bent arms up to .3, arched body up to .3. It can really add up on a skill done poorly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back