WAG Rock climbing--Margo Hayes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LindyHopper

Proud Parent
There have been several discussions about Rock Climbing in this forum, so I thought some might find this information interesting.

Margo Hayes was a Level 8 gymnast (also was TOPS B team) at CATS. CATS is also a climbing gym. She began climbing and loved it, leaving gymnastics behind.

She was the FIRST woman to climb a 5.15 route (INSANELY difficult). I just watched a short film about it called Break on Through (part of Reel Rock 12). And it was obvious to me that the discipline, perseverance, and ability to keep going that she learned in gymnastics transitioned to her climbing.

This morning she grabbed the final (6th) spot in tonight's USA Climbing Open nationals bouldering finals in Salt Lake City. She is Little Bit's (My daughter who competitively climbs) favorite climber. GO MARGO!

So it is probably safe to say that climbing is a sport gymnasts can easily transition to. Short Stack (my gymmie) enjoys climbing for fun.

My DD LOVES to climb for fun. My favorite part about her climbing is when she walks to a rock with an overhang and blows everybody's mind as she lifts her body weight to the top. There's nothing quite like watching the mouths of a group of big strong men drop open while my tiny little 9 year old flexes her muscles!

Once at a climbing gym my kids went to the top of the wall without using their legs, arms only. Some guys who were waiting behind them said "forget it, we're not going after THEM" LOL. It was impressive.

I could see them climbing if they ever quit gym. The only thing is that they are short and it helps to have long limbs for competitive climbing.

I think that's awesome!
Ironically, my kid does not like heights at the same level as her peers.....She went with a few friends to a climbing wall thingee and only went up about 1/3 of the way....she said the others raced to the top....I said hey, I am GOOD with that! LOL.

Once at a climbing gym my kids went to the top of the wall without using their legs, arms only. Some guys who were waiting behind them said "forget it, we're not going after THEM" LOL. It was impressive.

I could see them climbing if they ever quit gym. The only thing is that they are short and it helps to have long limbs for competitive climbing.

Love the story about the guys who wouldn't go after them. :D:D:D

Little Bit got my long legs, and Short Stack got Daddy's short ones.

SS (11) is about 2 inches taller than LB (9), but their legs are the same length.

Perhaps they've both picked the right sport for themselves

My DD LOVES to climb for fun. My favorite part about her climbing is when she walks to a rock with an overhang and blows everybody's mind as she lifts her body weight to the top. There's nothing quite like watching the mouths of a group of big strong men drop open while my tiny little 9 year old flexes her muscles!
My dad's company has a big picnic every year... they alternate a climbing wall and a zipline. YG was the youngest the guys at the climbing wall had ever seen make it to the top (and in FLIP FLOPS, lol). She did the "easy side" first and did so well, the next try she did the next hardest... she even made it to the top of the "hard side" ... so all 4 sides ... at 6 years old.
Side note: At 5, she was the youngest and lightest to ever do the zipline (we had to talk them into letting her because she wasn't big enough... so one of the guys, on his break, watched her on the monkey bars and decided she had the strength to do it ;) )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back