Round off back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The round off back handspring is the last thing I need for level 4. I'm still doing round off, pause, back handspring with spot. I can/could do it on the trampoline and off the end of the tumble track onto squishy mats. Thing is, every time I make some progress, I lose it! I think if I just threw one I would make it... But I always get scared. Any suggestions? I want this skill very badly. :(

The main thing I would work on is doing multiple consecutive backhandsprings from a stand with a spot. Standing two backhandsprings, standing three, four, five, etc until you're completely comfortable with the backward connections. Don't try to rush yourself; when it comes to fear issues (and this definitely sounds like it's all mental), it's best to take your time and work within your comfort zone.

I agree with Geoffrey Taucer , it does just sound like you may be thinking about it to much . I got the exact same thing when I was doing them on beam . Main thing is no to think about it to much but to think about it a little and do like two , three , four , five ect . standing back handsprings in a row with spot. Hope this helps .
:) Good-Luck !

Oh I need the same thing, because im level 4 also. I've already got a nice roundoff and my tick-tocks...everytime I do one I try it again and cant do it!!!!!

One of the coach's I trained under as well made kids learn BHS-BHS on TT before connecting it to RO-BHS preferably. Once they could connect BHS-BHS, it was rather easy to have them go for RO-BHS.

Another drill was to get them connect is a HS snapdown-thru to BHS. I typically stack panel mats or a block next to the top end of a wedge mat and they kick uphill into HS with me spotting and snap down then going into BHS ( at first I shuffle my feet downhill and spot the BHS ). Or we'll do BHS down a wedge and I'll spot the second.

If they are small enough or competent enough with light spot BHS, I can shuffle spot 2-5 connected BHS. Good trust drill.

Some ppl use BWO-BWO or BWO-BHS but that would require a standing BHS.

We have also set up a couple of big blocks perpendicular to a cheese mat (It is best if the blocks are the same height as the wedge.). The gymnast does step RO on the blocks so that his/her feet land on the wedge, then BHS down the wedge. I usually spot the first two or three to get the gymnast comfortable, then let them go on their own. It tends to give the gymnast a little more confidence to make the connection because the BHS isn't quite so much work. Also, I put a panel mat 1/2 unfolded in front of an appropriately sized barrel. The gymnast does RO over the mat, straight to BHS over the barrel. When a gymnast can do that without having to use the barrel for the BHS, then he/she is already doing the skill and it's not quite so scary to move the mat away as it is to lose a spotter.

We have also set up a couple of big blocks perpendicular to a cheese mat (It is best if the blocks are the same height as the wedge.). The gymnast does step RO on the blocks so that his/her feet land on the wedge, then BHS down the wedge. I usually spot the first two or three to get the gymnast comfortable, then let them go on their own. It tends to give the gymnast a little more confidence to make the connection because the BHS isn't quite so much work. Also, I put a panel mat 1/2 unfolded in front of an appropriately sized barrel. The gymnast does RO over the mat, straight to BHS over the barrel. When a gymnast can do that without having to use the barrel for the BHS, then he/she is already doing the skill and it's not quite so scary to move the mat away as it is to lose a spotter.

I like both of those drills. For the taller girls I will build a long ramp or have panel mat stacks that meet the top of the wedge so we can work on RO-BH/-BH especially as we don't always have access to tumble-trak. One of the girls, RO is a bit funky on TT.

i had the same trouble when i was first learning mine. i would do round off stop back handspring. i was so afraid. but what really made me do it ' was i thought to my self if a dont do it then i will scratch floor and it made me so mad. and i was so determined to do it, also i have learned that it helps to not think about things so i talk [ in my head of corse ] i normally say peanut butter jelly. when i do things. because then i think of that and not being scared.
hope i helped/ =/

Can you do a standing bhs?

I usually like my gymnasts to be able to do a standing bha as a pre-requisite to learning ro-bhs. I think it is a 'mental' thing. If they are confident enough to do it standing, they shouldn't have a problem linking it to a roundoff.

However it isn't something you absolutely have to be able to do in order to do a ro-bhs so if you can't, don't worry.

Along with all the other good suggestions above I'd like to add a couple:

Pile a couple of mats up at the end of the floor, until they are about bum height, then roundoff towards them and jump straight back to land on your back on the mats. You will need to make sure you judge the distance correctly. You want to be jumping backwards in a tight arch. When you land, make sure your feet haven't lifted into a pike.

Another drill I've picked up is to place 2 or 3 safety mats in a line along the floor with a springboard at the end of them and then cover all the mats with a 'roll mat' (a long thin mat which is usually rolled up for storage - I guess you could use anything though because I think the point of it is to cover the joins in the safety mats). Roundoff, placing your hands on the springboard, then land the roundoff on the mats and bhs.
It sounds like a funny set up, but it really does work. Many of our gymnasts learned theirs this way last summer! However, I would just warn you that it might not be a good idea to do a lot of these as the soft mats may hurt your wrists after a few.
It is a good confidence builder simply because the mats are softer than the floor!

I used to do handstand snapdown backhandspring cause the snap down is kinda the same as completing the last quarter turn of the roundoff. Good Luck!

What my coach always said wen i was learning a BHS to get mad, focus, and have Confidence! once i got my bhs I had to start learning Ro- BHS I was scared to connect it at first. But then i realized My coach will catch me and if my arms are straight even if she dosnt catch me i will be fine! :D:D:D:D:D:)

right , i had the same problem, try do a cartwheel quarter in , (not sure what americans call it ) a cartwheel but finished with your legs together finished like a round of then try doing one from that , then it get your backward motion not going too fast and you have time to think about what your going to do , and also means your wont get more height than you need ,so no need in scaring your self just to start off! hope this helps abit :D:):D

I get scared to but i just go for it i would recommend just going for it with a spot the first time and then just go for it the second time but make sure u just keep ur arms straight and by ur head. If u have a tumble track i would concer it on there first if u already havent. hope this helps. Good luck

I had the same problem. try picturing yourself doing it over and over again. when you wake up, and when you got to bed. it works!

We have fun setting up a two or three step graduated blocks ending on a long resi mat, slanted if possible but we don't usually set up that way because it is too time consuming.

Wouldn't let me post my symbol drawing.
We had lots of success with this this last winter
and then again this last summer. Just went back to it today so we could analyze our BHS form as we've been sloppy lately. We didn't use the top block today and just power hurdled the length of two panel mats together. This really gets you in a comfy position to launch naturally into a BHS. My girls think these drills are a blast too because they go bouncing out with little to no effort other than just holding good shapes. Back to basics was never more fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact same thing last year with level 4. My coach kept telling me I could do it and I just had to go for it. My problem was the same as yours though, I had a little fear yet. What I did was just worked on as many as I could and when I felt really safe, I started doing them. Just make sure you don't let anyone make you do it if you are not totally comfortable. Now I do them all the time! Good luck! I bet you'll get it soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back