Coaches Roundoff and backhandspring development

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In love with the snap-down drill where they hold your wrists!

Definitely gonna try it with my 3, 4, 5's this week :^)
You normally coach in San Jose, right? I just moved to Berkeley recently!

In love with the snap-down drill where they hold your wrists!

Definitely gonna try it with my 3, 4, 5's this week :^)
You normally coach in San Jose, right? I just moved to Berkeley recently!

Used to be in San Jose, moved to the east coast because the rent out there was too high. Currently living in Baltimore

Reactions: sun
Just got a Tumbltrak today, super excited to work on the standing 2 bhs progression on there with some of my newer bhs kids before moving to ro-bhs. BHS are one of those skills I can never have enough drills and ideas for, as soon as you think you have a system you have a kid who throws you for a loop and you need to try something totally new. So I'm always up for ideas!

Just got a Tumbltrak today, super excited to work on the standing 2 bhs progression on there with some of my newer bhs kids before moving to ro-bhs. BHS are one of those skills I can never have enough drills and ideas for, as soon as you think you have a system you have a kid who throws you for a loop and you need to try something totally new. So I'm always up for ideas!
Best of luck! Let me know how it goes for you!

Here's a clinic I did at Woodward on backhandspring and roundoff development. Hope y'all find it useful!

Same! Gonna have to try it.

I've seen a LOT of videos and lectures about teaching round offs/back handsprings finishing in like a standing pike, almost landing on their butts. I'm curious what your take on that technique is.

Same! Gonna have to try it.

I've seen a LOT of videos and lectures about teaching round offs/back handsprings finishing in like a standing pike, almost landing on their butts. I'm curious what your take on that technique is.

I like it and I don't.

I definitely do want the athletes to scoop their feet under as much as possible; however, I think telling them to pike at the early stages of development can cause other problems. I can certainly see telling a more advanced kid to pike it under, but I wouldn't tell a kid who is just learning to do that.

Sort of in the same vein as teaching the set for a back layout; yes, it should technically be slightly arched at the moment of takeoff, but I don't like to actually describe it to kids as an arch.

Here's a clinic I did at Woodward on backhandspring and roundoff development. Hope y'all find it useful!

Cheer tumblers hate it when I don't let them run for more power. Gotta love it.
Thanks for quite a few reminders of some drills I haven't done in the cheer world that we did with gymnasts. Maybe I'll get a group for camp some time.

Thanks for all the drills! I'm gonna coach pre-team kids this year, mostly coming from rec classes. I'll be able to start them well on these two skills!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back