WAG Roundoff backhandspring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ari97

Gymnast
My problem is whenever i try to do a roundoff backhandspring I do a roundoff, take two jumps and do a backhandspring for some reason I can't only take one jump. Anyone have any tips?? And when i'm on the tumbletrack i can never do a straight roundoff. Any tips for that?

It will come in time.

Try to get to the point you can do BHS BHS or snap down off a mat to BHS. Getting that connection is crucial.

This is very non-technical, but I suggest you stop taking extra hops and straighten-out your roundoff. ;)

I actually responded just to subscribe to see what answer are giving by the coach-types on here.

You're probably bringing one of your arms slightly ahead of the other in your round off which is why it's crooked, I do the same thing. So really focus on moving both your arms together.

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

Use an octagon spotter. Do a round off so you will land right with your back to it and jump straight back and up at it. You don't even have to do a BHS over the octagon unless you want to of course. This will make it so you don't have space to jump twice or enough room to. It will force you to do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

Some people cross their lunge leg over their center line when they roundoff. That can cause you to go crooked.

I know it seems pretty easy not to double bounce but once you have a habit of it, it's hard to get rid of! But Thanks for the replies

This is very non-technical, but I suggest you stop taking extra hops and straighten-out your roundoff. ;)

I actually responded just to subscribe to see what answer are giving by the coach-types on here.

I'm pretty sure that there is a way to subscribe without actually posting.

There aren't any jumps between a round off and a back handspring. You have to let the round off do the back handspring for you.

I had the same problem of going crooked in my round off and it really helps to lengthen the space between your hurdle foot and where your hands go down. Hope this helps and good luck! :)

"..I can't take one jump!"

My first suggestion would be to not take any jumps. But that's just me. Don't think of it as a jump. Do the round off, and it should rebound you into the air. Then land, then back handspring. Eventually you'll eliminate the rebound and go straight to the handspring. But thinking of it as a jump makes you stop and, well, jump with your legs. That'll create bad habits later on.

As far as the round off not being straight, get a Velcro line or draw a line with chalk and make sure you put your hands on it during the round off. Remember, your hands shouldn't be close together and should be in a straight line traveling forward.

Just my .02

Don't worry it comes in time what I did was asked my coach to hold my back when I jumped and let go. That way I felt comfortable and I knew I wouldn't fall. Try that and see if it works!

I know, she just had stomache surgery so shes not going to be able to spot for a very long time. And plus im taller and bigger then her

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back