Coaches Running Development

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Zivaah

Coach
Judge
Hey guys,

Has anyone seen the new instagram post of nickruddock?

We don't have any nice coaching courses where I come from, just the coaches of the more serious clubs go those classes on the other side of the country. My knowledge is mostly based of stuff other coaches told me, instagram, just trying out what is working and reading a lot in this forum.

What I learned from my coach ten or fifteen years ago was called running ABC (Lauf ABC):
A: running in relevé position and point your toes during your run
B: lean forward, imagine you have sth on your back, don't let it drop down
C: knees up, long steps, be fast

How do you teach the run or more specific, what kind of technique do you want to see from your gymnasts? For me it makes much more sense to run like the athletics people, but I never question the way I was told years ago.

And how do you enter the board, leaning forward or leaning back, this is always a big discussion here.

Thank you in advance, I am happy to hear from you!

Cheers
Zivaah

Maybe it's one of those received wisdom Chinese whispers effects, where someone had a good idea and reasons for that, but they communicated the idea of form without the reasons so then they get altered and the focus changes with repeated tellings.

Vault is a short sprint and that does mean being on the balls of your feet and pushing through ankle extension. Then that becomes relevé and point your toes. But if you're in full relevé all the time you can't push through ankle extension because you're already there to start with. The toe point is supposed to be visual evidence of the completed push away when the foot is in the air, but if you focus on it as an aesthetic requirement it's just a distraction.

And running is in a way a controlled fall, you do lean forwards, but not just from the hip, your whole body leans forwards, like a lunge.

Unlike most things in gymnastics running is pretty instinctual. A lot of thinking about which muscles do what and what it looks like is probably counterproductive. Focusing on hitting a defined end point as fast as possible is probably better.

When I was a kid we used to run full pelt at a crash mat held on it's side to knock it over. It would be cool if there was something that registered the impulse more. That is if you could run into something that obviously travelled or deformed in proportion to how fast you hit it, so you'd get direct feedback. Those bungee run things would be probably be good, though not so easy to set up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back