S/O Qualifying Elite - how does it work in Canada?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomx2

Proud Parent
The other thread about qualifying Elite in the US contained so much interesting information! I was wondering how the process works in Canada? Anyone know?

Thanks Bog! Interesting reading indeed. What a complicated system with points, etc, I never imagined it would be so specific.

How does one get in the HP stream? Can people from the National Open group make the National team? it seems based on the documentation that they would not be able too.

I am not entirely sure. We have so few girls who get to that level that it really is not out there the way the US system is, and even that is a bit mysterious.

I know during the olympic trials there was some kerfuffle about some girls not being eligible even though they had done as well, or better, at various comps as the girls who could be part of the process.

We need Rick of gymnasticscoaching.com to help us. He is very informed and involved,

It looks like Canadian athletes are eligible for some sort of funding/stipend, depending on their level, even as a development athlete? I think that's so cool, I know several athletes that couldn't ever pursue elite, regardless of talent, because there is no financial support. They could never afford to take all of the trips to the ranch, etc.

Yes, even at the provincial level (like State) girls identified as having talent, using a very long list of criteria, are funded. Lists are public and modified year by year. Then there is also funding at the national levels too.

Indeed Elite in the US is very expensive, but very successful. Mind you very few girls actually get to the National Team ion the US. I wonder how many girls are working very hard, and paying a ton of money, when they really will never be good enough for the NT?

We have a novice at our gym who qualified as HP this year. Another hopes to qualify next year, then my DD the year after that.

You have to qualify to get to Elite Canada, by getting the required score (one of two methods I believe) at a specified qualifier. Then once at Elite Canada that is how you qualify to become HP.

You asked about Opens. My understanding (from reading only - not because Im "in the know") is that they'd have to qualify as Juniors or Seniors first to be eligible. Opens are like L10s.

Hopefully someone can confirm :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back