WAG Sad? Happy? Excited? Confused?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, so next year i will be a first year university student and have to decide what i really want in terms of gym. If i was to continue training, it is likely that i would be in the gym 6 days a week which i honestly think would be too much for me so i would either have to stop coaching or training. At the same time to be in the gym 6 days a week i would give up so many university experiences for it and i am sure that i would regret not getting involved in university life.

So next year, I decided that I will do adult gym at the gym and then also do cheerleading at uni - they were very excited when i approached them yesterday because they are having a drought of tumblers at the moment :p So that i'm really excited about. However, I am really sad about leaving my squad and moving on from competitive gymnastics and i'm not 100% certain i want to leave, but competing against and training with people so much younger than me does get a little tiring.

I am so excited to finish school and will definitely be continuing gym until uni starts but at the same time just thinking about leaving my squad seems impossible to do :(

I suspect this will be one of those things that are hard until you actually do it. Like when I left a job I loved to have (and then stay home with) my girls. I couldn't stand to leave and actually worked up till I was 8 1/2 months pregnant! With twins! But then, after I had the girls, to be honest, I didn't even think much about that job I couldn't bear to leave. I think you're making the right decision to clear out enough time in you schedule to actually experience the university life and not just to attend classes. And cheer is a good option if there isn't a university club team for you to participate with. And it's great that you can continue to coach. Life is about balance and it sounds like you're doing a good job of striking that balance. It will seem hard to leave, but I suspect that once you're busy with university and cheer and such, you'll hardly have time to miss gymnastics!

My DD is a senior in highschool this year & sounds like you & her are experiencing a lot of the same feelings & emotions. It's all part of growing up & moving on to new things; exciting, yet scary & a bit sad at the same time. I suppose "bittersweet" is the proper term. Sounds like you've thought this through in a very adult way & come up good plan. You should be very proud :) Remember, even if you aren't on a competitive team, gymnastics will always be a part of who you are. Gymnastics has helped you build 2 amazing skills; strength & determination! You will always carry your "gymnastics skills" with you in all that you do, for the rest of your life! Be proud of all that you have accomplished & use your "skills" to move forward in life. Good luck!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back