Parents Saying no

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have completely relaxed rules regarding electronics. We live in NJ, so being number 2 in cases makes me unwilling to have any contact, So kid does lots of chats/games/video shares that I would never allow in normal times. We are fortunate that our school is way ahead than most US schools with regard to online education. We do have weekly conditioning over message, but no zoom. Thinking if my southern relatives continue to have lesser outbreak, I could move in with them over the summer to allow him to practice with them if gyms are cleared to reopen. Not so much to give him an advantage over teammates but to retain his interest in the sport and give him a bit of team camaraderie. I think that might be good for him. Some boys on his team have already dropped and out of 10 boys he started a Level 4 with, he’s the only one left, so since he is still wanting to practice new skills, I might try to boost him over the summer with letting him do full gym in another state if we have that option

Edited to add that if our schools are not able to reopen in Sept, it would increase my willingness to to relocate to a state that not only has schools open, but also gyms. Not about performance but more about providing him with what he knows.... school, study, practice, friends he can go to a Starbucks or Chipotle with after school without lockdown, which gives an anxious kids way more anxiety.

ofcourse it’s all wait and see at this point

Very smart. My eldest (who is 20 today!!) Loves video games. The younger, gymnast, not as much. But it has kept him connected to teammates as they play at night!

My son and several members of his workout group have spent endless hours together online. ENDLESS. I know it is good for his mental health and theirs. I tell myself that every time I can hear him chortling and guffawing in the background as I am trying to hold together the fraying threads of my attention to get my own work done.

Got a bunch of haha reacts for this, but I'm completely serious. The WHO has even recommended people play more video games during this crisis. Games can -- if managed and supervised properly -- provide entertainment and intellectual stimulation, as well as being a way to engage socially, both with people in the same household and with friends who they otherwise don't get to play with right now or ever.
I only laughed for our family- I’m right there with the WHO. Anything that connects people and keeps them sane is good. We have never owned a gaming system and my kids (16 and 18 now) have never played a video game outside of a few rounds of karaoke and rock band about a decade ago. They wouldn’t even know how or what to play if I wanted to buy one (which I don’t because our house is tiny and we have one tv). We also don’t have a yard of any sort, so traditional sporting equipment of the ball variety is also mostly out. I did buy them a skateboard for the driveway- that’s been a big hit around here!

Tinker Bell bought herself a skateboard right before the virus hit our state. It is currently off limits because I am not interested in visiting the ER right now. (My child once managed to sprain her ankle while standing still.)

I’m in the middle. Loving Zoom because she can keep connected with her friends. We have done things like play Yahtzee with family via Zoom/Facetime. Conditions with her team.

I’ve finally allowed her to game on line via her Switch but only with known folks. So lots of belly laughs are heard while she is playing Mario Kart with her cousins. Or Forte Nite with friends. I think something called Overcooked is up next.

So I’m good when she is interacting with people and screens are involved. But solitary screen time. That still has limits. And makes her rather sullen and zombie like, so no. And no SM, mutually agreed upon.

For her she needs to be outside For her mental health. She comes with me to the store or to pick up food. She uses her lacrosse rebounder, shoots hoops. We walk and bike when the weather cooperates.

Got a bunch of haha reacts for this, but I'm completely serious. The WHO has even recommended people play more video games during this crisis. Games can -- if managed and supervised properly -- provide entertainment and intellectual stimulation, as well as being a way to engage socially, both with people in the same household and with friends who they otherwise don't get to play with right now or ever.
My boys are staying connect to friends through video games. They can chat, interact, play together. It has been a social lifeline for them. My daughter, the gymnast, is much more active, hates video games, has not even wanted to do Zoom workouts with her friends because, in her words, it just make her miss them more. Usually video games have a time limit in our house. If school work and chores are done, I am not currently limiting screen time.

It is one of the things that keep me sane :)

I only laughed for our family- I’m right there with the WHO. Anything that connects people and keeps them sane is good. We have never owned a gaming system and my kids (16 and 18 now) have never played a video game outside of a few rounds of karaoke and rock band about a decade ago. They wouldn’t even know how or what to play if I wanted to buy one (which I don’t because our house is tiny and we have one tv). We also don’t have a yard of any sort, so traditional sporting equipment of the ball variety is also mostly out. I did buy them a skateboard for the driveway- that’s been a big hit around here!

The Switch is a great buy for folks without space and a TV. It is handheld, but can be played on a tv too. We play trivial pursuits as a family on ours, lots of fun. We have probably owned every gaming system since Pong.

I asked my daughter if she wanted and air track and she said for what? LOL! She said she can't do anything that exciting on it anyways.. others have found them useful for doing beam stuff on.. and i told my daughter that and she then rebutted by saying sorry that is nothing like a real beam.. oy... i think she is on edge! LOL

My DD dug out a low, homemade beam my dad had made for her when she was 4. It hadn't been used in years and was in our storage room. She got that thing out, up a flight of stairs and outside (all while I was in the shower and had no idea she had gotten this terrible idea). Apparently she had so much anxiety over losing her beam skills (lots of mental blocks this year), she decided she needed to start tumbling on whatever she could find. Guess what our first trip out in weeks was - yup to the orthopedic doctor to confirm a fracture. Hoping she'll be healed by the time the gym gets to open. These girls are suffering in mental ways (anxiety over lost skills, fear building, loss of season, time running out to achieve goals) that I know they aren't always expressing. I'm so ready for all of this to end. My heart can't take much more doom and gloom.

As much as they all want to tumble and get back in the gym, we need to keep in mind that their bodies are just not in the condition they were 6 weeks ago. There is a real risk of injury (read post above :(.) I have no problem saying no to a tumble track even though it seems everyone around me is getting them. My daughter is so used to our rules she doesn't even seemed phased with a no response. Stand your ground, your dd will get over it. Coming back from this time off will be hard enough without adding a potential injury or mental block due to a fall.

My DD dug out a low, homemade beam my dad had made for her when she was 4. It hadn't been used in years and was in our storage room. She got that thing out, up a flight of stairs and outside (all while I was in the shower and had no idea she had gotten this terrible idea). Apparently she had so much anxiety over losing her beam skills (lots of mental blocks this year), she decided she needed to start tumbling on whatever she could find. Guess what our first trip out in weeks was - yup to the orthopedic doctor to confirm a fracture. Hoping she'll be healed by the time the gym gets to open. These girls are suffering in mental ways (anxiety over lost skills, fear building, loss of season, time running out to achieve goals) that I know they aren't always expressing. I'm so ready for all of this to end. My heart can't take much more doom and gloom.

I’m so sorry about her fracture!

Here it is a baseball glove/bat, new mountain bike, hours of online workouts with teammates. I have to admit I am impressed with her ability to catch a ball with a mitt as well as being fearless on the MTB trails.

Never thought I'd say this, but I am glad we relented on our video game ban and bought her one last fall. I've heard they are now sold out.

Yes! we are not normally ones to get the newest technology, but I'm glad we had the Switch already. It's actually provided a lot of bonding time for my kids and hubby. He likes Animal Crossing almost as much as they do! :D

Way to stick to stand your ground. I would never get one as I think they can help kids learn or practice skills the absolute wrong way and then they will have to relearn... plus the injury factor... it’s hard to trust that conditioning and stretching are the most important right now but they are!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back