School ends too late for practice!!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I get home from (private) school at 5:30. Team practice begins at 4:45 and if I wanted to compete (which I do!) I don't exactly know how I'd do this. Of course, I would talk to my coach but first I need to know whether this is actually reasonable. Of course I know that education comes first, but apparently not everybody agrees. Anybody have advice? My high school doesn't have a team, and I just want to get out of rec classes and into a more level-appropriate program. Any ideas?
Thank you so much!!!!!!!

I don't know what grade you are in but could you ask if you could leave early on training days?

Is there a faster way to get home? I presume that your school does not finish as late as 5:30pm, could another team mate come past and pick you up from school directly rather waiting for a bus for example. Chipping Ina fewdollarsfor petrol would probably be cheaper than the bus ticket.

Could you ask to leave school early? In many schools not a lot happens in the last little bit of the day.

Many of the schools around here will let you skip taking PE provided that your gym completes a letter verifying the amount of physical training you're doing with gymnastics. Then, you'd leave your last period open and leave school one period earlier. Check with your parents first, then check with a guidance counselor to see if that's an option.

Your parents need to be involved in this solution. My DD's practice a few years back started at 2:45 (school lets out at 2:30) but she didn't get off the bus until 3:30 because we are just about the last stop. So on those days I would pick her up at school and have her released as a "walker" (they are released at 2:20) then drive her right to gym we were still 15 - 20 min late but the gym was ok with it.

You may need to seek another gym who's hours for their team practice match up with the hours you need as well. No matter what your parents, the school and the gym need to be all working together to make this happen.

What hours to you go to school?? 5:30 is really late for any school in my area or with in 4 states of my area?

No, my school does not end at 5:30 (thank god!). My school is pretty far from both my house and the gym. We get out at 4:00 for elementary and middle school, and usually get home around 5:00 (still too late for practice) but for high school we will have to spend an extra half hour at school, since class periods run longer. I am not in high school yet, but when I get there, it will be at 5:30.

Thank you for all of your responses!

A lot of private schools require a PE component by participating in a team sport, which means they have to stay late. I'm assuming this is what the OP means. But I have heard of others where they let the high schoolers start the day late, but get out later. Works better with their natural sleep rhythms.

If it is the PE, you may be able to get out of it by being on the gymnastics team, but not likely. One of the reasons they force the sport component is for school pride.

If your day just starts later, you may ne able to work your schedule to get out one period earlier by not having a studyhall or taking a summer class.

Both of my dd's are late to practice on school days. They get out of school at 3:45 and practice starts at 4 usually. It is a 30 minute drive for us, so they are 15 minutes late. I pick them up from school and we hurry right to practice. The gym has always been fine with this - really what can they say? School comes first and they know people do the best they can to get there as quickly as possible on school days, but I do let them know at the beginning of the school year who will be late which days and how much late. They are never the only ones walking in 15 minutes late.

It sounds like you are going home in-between school and gym...that's a big time-waster. My parents used to pick me up from school and take me directly to gym (now I have my driver's license), which should be do-able especially if you can carpool with a teammate who goes to your school or one close to yours.

Flipper goes to public school. We started talking to the school board, counselor and principal several years ago about letting her out early (has a study hall type class or art the last period each day). Last year, the school came up with a plan that works for everybody. Flip stays in her last class while they call role, then quietly leaves. The school counselor told us that they make special accommodations for troubled kids all the time and they were pleased to help out a kid that is excelling. Other kids from the gym have asked their school districts to do the same for them, and the answer has been a resounding no!

wow!!! that is the latest i have ever heard that someone gets out of school. geez louise.

Boy that is really a late end of day - what time do you start in the AM? Is it later than most schools?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back