Off Topic school

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymnastRaeRae87

how is school going for all you guys? I am having trouble in one of my classes and my grade isnt what my grades are normally like and my parents are all over me about it. i understand they want me to be successful but they are always on my back about, "you need to re-evalute if you want to be doing all these clubs and sports because if you really want to go to medical school nd be a neo natal surgeon you need to focus on academics" but then when they look at my stuff my mom is all like "i never had to go this high in math" and im like lucky you, well i do and it is super hard for me

what can i do to get them off my back?

and its like i screw up on something and the next big project i got an A+ but they still yell at me for not having my grade where it normally is...what should i do?!

I think you should have your teacher talk to your parents, and let them know where that grade came from and how you have been improving. I'm sure your teacher can reassure them that it was a one-time thing and not a habit, which hopefull will get them off your back! You can't be awesome ALL the time.

~Katy

my teacher is super chill and i have been doing a lot and i raised my grade a whole letter and they are still saying stuff! my teacher has told them that i am doing well and i participate like there is no tomorrow in class and my teacher tells me how much better im doing and i just wish my parents could be there in class with me to see that!

if only my parents would think that...it feels like they expect me to be SO great all the time and im like im a kid and im human im not perfect!

:(

but thanks :)

In that case just remind them how good those activities will look on your college application, and if that doesn't work but they're not seriously *going* to make you stop doing something... just ignore them. You get to be a doctor by your own willpower, not by your parents telling you what to do, you can still get into an awesome college with a couple not awesome grades, and once you're into college your grades before then official don't matter AT ALL anymore anyways. It's all about what you do in college. Even if you don't get into the best college, you can usually transfer after a semester or two.

Enjoy being young. There's a time for "focusing on academics" and trust me, that time comes DURING med school. Have as much of a life as you can now cause once med school starts, your life is on hold until you're done with residency!

~Katy

I wanna be a doctor too :)

If you're trying your best no one can ask more of you, but I know, its soo hard to do. I cried like 3 nights this week coming home and looking at what I had to do. Just tell your parents you're working as hard as you can and you need to do everything to get into med. Good luck!

thanks guys :) that really helped and im feeling a little better now :)

and by the way i-heart-gym i love your signature! it is really cute :)

doctor

I wanna be a doctor too :)

If you're trying your best no one can ask more of you, but I know, its soo hard to do. I cried like 3 nights this week coming home and looking at what I had to do. Just tell your parents you're working as hard as you can and you need to do everything to get into med. Good luck!

what kind of doctor do you want to be?

Hang in there RaeRae (that is my dd2's nickname :D). From a parent perspective we do get a little crazy sometimes :eek: I've always told my kids that academics come before sports. DD1 does well in math, but has to work really hard to do well. I'm sure you parents realize that you are working really hard and trying your best. You have some great goals set for yourself. Keep up the hard work:)

Your parents may not appreciate me telling you this, but med schools don't care how you do in high school. Obviously the harder you work and the more difficult your classes are in high school, the better prepared you will (hopefully!) be in college, and of course the better you do in high school, the better college you can get into. However, very very few med schools will look through your high school records (I can only think of Wash U). What is important is your GPA, research, volunteering, and shadowing once you get to college.

I was on the pre-med track for a long time (2 years in college), took the MCAT, shadowed doctors, etc. before I realized that my heart really wasn't in it. Medicine is something that should have appealed to me, but I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life... so start shadowing as early as possible to make sure that you can see yourself in a hospital or clinical setting for the rest of your life. I'm hoping to become a doctor through the Ph.D. route. :)

Your parents may not appreciate me telling you this, but med schools don't care how you do in high school. Obviously the harder you work and the more difficult your classes are in high school, the better prepared you will (hopefully!) be in college, and of course the better you do in high school, the better college you can get into. However, very very few med schools will look through your high school records (I can only think of Wash U). What is important is your GPA, research, volunteering, and shadowing once you get to college.

I was on the pre-med track for a long time (2 years in college), took the MCAT, shadowed doctors, etc. before I realized that my heart really wasn't in it. Medicine is something that should have appealed to me, but I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life... so start shadowing as early as possible to make sure that you can see yourself in a hospital or clinical setting for the rest of your life. I'm hoping to become a doctor through the Ph.D. route. :)

OK, I going to sound like a total idiot here but do you not go to med school straight from high school? That's what happens here...

In the US, you complete a BA or BS (typically a 4-year program) before you apply to med school. There are a few BA/MD programs that you can apply to from high school that guarantee admission to med school if you meet certain requirements, and I think I've heard of a 6-year program that combines college and med school. Do you apply to med school from high school everywhere in Europe? I know that's the case in Germany and apparently England as well.

We do grades 1-12 (sometimes kindergarten), then 4 years of college, then 4 years of med school, then about 3-4 years of residency (it varies), and then you can choose to sub-specialize (fellowship), which is roughly another 2 years or so. I believe you can practice general medicine with 4 years of med school and one year of interning, but all of the fields that I was interested in took about 8-9 years after college.

We do grades 1-12 (sometimes kindergarten), then 4 years of college, then 4 years of med school, then about 3-4 years of residency (it varies), and then you can choose to sub-specialize (fellowship), which is roughly another 2 years or so. I believe you can practice general medicine with 4 years of med school and one year of interning, but all of the fields that I was interested in took about 8-9 years after college.

Oh, we're different there. We do primary 1-7, then years 1-6 (5 and 6 are optional but compulsory for med) and then a five year med degree followed by a specialty if you want, I think they are generally 4 years. Or you can just get a job in the NHS.

I'm not really clued up on the exact specifics yet, I won't need to apply until next year :) Thanks for explaining all that!

PS. I'm glad I don't live in America- you have such a long process!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back