Scoliosis Brace

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m the Mom of a L7 gymnast, who has just turned 13. We knew that she had some scoliosis last year and in a recent check up, she has been asked to wear a back brace for a year to stop the curvature increasing. She will obviously take it off for gymnastics practices and competitions. This is obviously really hard for my daughter but she will do it because she’s pursuing her dream. Does any one else have a similar story? It would really help to know she’s not alone.

My niece is not a gymnast, her thing is horses. She has to wear a back brace continually, It is removed only when doing physical activity. She wears her clothes baggy and does her best to be her. She makes the best out of the situation and looks forward to being cleared from the brace. Work with her on finding clothes she likes to wear with the brace and a good explanation for the kids who ask about it. You are a good mom, as you are looking for help, you guys will do wonderfully.

I’m the Mom of a L7 gymnast, who has just turned 13. We knew that she had some scoliosis last year and in a recent check up, she has been asked to wear a back brace for a year to stop the curvature increasing. She will obviously take it off for gymnastics practices and competitions. This is obviously really hard for my daughter but she will do it because she’s pursuing her dream. Does any one else have a similar story? It would really help to know she’s not alone.
I'm the mom of a gymnast too, but I had to wear a back brace for 2 years for scoliosis as well (at age 13-14). The first month was by far the worst. I remember crying a lot during the first week--but please let her know that it gets easier every day. I was a swimmer and not a gymnast but I faced some of the same issues. This will date me but I remember having so much trouble "pegging" my pants (folding them over at the bottom--that was the trend then) because I couldn't bend over. I traveled to my swim meets without my parents a lot so my teammates needed to help me put the brace on--and that was definitely a bonding experience. The best part about the brace was that it prevented me from needing surgery. My curve was at 45 degrees when I stopped growing and the orthopedist thought it wasn't necessary. Thirty years later, I've had very few back problems so I'm very grateful. I'd also say...and this will sound corny...but it also taught me a bit about how to overcome challenges and how to ask for help when I needed it. I wish your daughter the best. Let me know if there's anything else I can do...I'm keeping an eye on my daughter...she may be in the same boat in a few years.

I'm the mom of a gymnast too, but I had to wear a back brace for 2 years for scoliosis as well (at age 13-14). The first month was by far the worst. I remember crying a lot during the first week--but please let her know that it gets easier every day. I was a swimmer and not a gymnast but I faced some of the same issues. This will date me but I remember having so much trouble "pegging" my pants (folding them over at the bottom--that was the trend then) because I couldn't bend over. I traveled to my swim meets without my parents a lot so my teammates needed to help me put the brace on--and that was definitely a bonding experience. The best part about the brace was that it prevented me from needing surgery. My curve was at 45 degrees when I stopped growing and the orthopedist thought it wasn't necessary. Thirty years later, I've had very few back problems so I'm very grateful. I'd also say...and this will sound corny...but it also taught me a bit about how to overcome challenges and how to ask for help when I needed it. I wish your daughter the best. Let me know if there's anything else I can do...I'm keeping an eye on my daughter...she may be in the same boat in a few years.

Thank you so much for this response, now that I know a bit more about it, I’m feeling less over whelmed. I understand for example that the brace nowadays is very thin and modeled to the body and now at least there is specific physical therapy that is designed to work on developing the small muscles that support the back and breathing into the cavities! It’s a process though and obviously we are approaching the competitive season so the timing’s not great but they have not asked her to give up gymnastics and she knows if she wants to continue she needs to do this. I’ve also heard the first month is the worst but at this point I’m trying not to over think it!

Hi I used to post a lot but my daughter had scoliosis too. At 13 1/2 After her first season of level 9 we found out she had a 20 degree curve. At 14 1/2 the curve was in the 40’s and by the time of her surgery at 14 years 7 months it was 48/36 and progressing rapidly. At 20 degrees we were told not to brace she should be fine. Kenzie ended up having surgery at Shriners hospital in Philadelphia. She did level 9 for two seasons and now competes for HS gymnastics on floor and beam at around level 8 . So watch that curve. Kenzie went from being a fifth grade level 8 going 25 hours a week to being in pain at 14.and surgery at the end of 8 th grade. The good news is she is back and was back to gymnastics 12 weeks post op. Research VBT they tether the spine so it’s not stiff. Her curves are still around 26/10 but they are holding steady with 8 titanium screws and a cord... good luck

At 20 degrees we were told not to brace she should be fine. Kenzie ended up having surgery at Shriners hospital in Philadelphia. She did level 9 for two seasons and now competes for HS gymnastics on floor and beam at around level 8 . So watch that curve. Kenzie went from being a fifth grade level 8 going 25 hours a week to being in pain at 14.and surgery at the end of 8 th grade. The good news is she is back and was back to gymnastics 12 weeks post op.
Wow! Glad to hear she's recovered and so sorry she went through that. Regardless of its hassles, the brace is definitely better than pain and major surgery--especially in 8th grade. I'm very grateful I never needed the operation. I wish your daughter all the best.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back