WAG scoliosis question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
At yesterday's annual visit to the pediatrician, DD was diagnosed with a very minor case of scoliosis (4 degrees just a little below the shoulder girdle). The pediatrician said there's no need for follow up or Xrays now; she just wants to see her again in six months to see if it's resolved, as DD is growing pretty fast right now. Any reason to be concerned about her in the gym? Do her coaches need to know? (DD will compete L8 again next season and is working on L8 and L9 stuff in the gym.)

My oldest was dx with scoliosis yesterday, so I have been reading a bit about it. I think that anything under 5 degrees is ok, meaning to just continue normal activities. If you want to tell the coach, I don't think it woudl hurt, but I don't think it will cause any problems if you don't. It could get worse as she grows, but if being monitored, then all is ok. how did she measure the degrees without an xray?

Older kid has a 14 degree rotation with a chest protrusion on that side. so we are off to the ortho.

I have a 19 degree rotation mid back - I haven't has any problems with gymnastics. I've has very mild back pain in bridges and BWO, but that's it. It couldn't hurt to tell the coaches, I know we did because we weren't sure if mine would affect balance. It didn't.

My oldest was dx with scoliosis yesterday, so I have been reading a bit about it. I think that anything under 5 degrees is ok, meaning to just continue normal activities. If you want to tell the coach, I don't think it woudl hurt, but I don't think it will cause any problems if you don't. It could get worse as she grows, but if being monitored, then all is ok. how did she measure the degrees without an xray?

Older kid has a 14 degree rotation with a chest protrusion on that side. so we are off to the ortho.
At my pediatrician they had this little tool..... But then we got x-rays for me so I'm not really sure. I think it's a type of ruler that can get an estimate.

I usually Xray if more that about 7 degrees on the scoliometer.
At 4 deg nothing to worry about, no need to limit activities or tell coaches.
Important during growth to keep an eye on it to see if the angle is increasing.
Usually up to 12 deg, we don't do much.
Some people say chiro can help, but I am not positive that it can really change the course of the angle progression during the rapid growth of puberty.

Yes, she had a measuring instrument, sort of like a level but without any liquid. She just ran it up my DD's spine to measure the degrees off horizontal. I'm thinking it could be as simple as one leg being just a little longer than the other at the moment and that throwing things a bit off kilter. Her bars coach told me once that sometimes they grow one leg at a time.

Wow, Skschlag! Hope it doesn't create any problems!

At yesterday's annual visit to the pediatrician, DD was diagnosed with a very minor case of scoliosis (4 degrees just a little below the shoulder girdle). The pediatrician said there's no need for follow up or Xrays now; she just wants to see her again in six months to see if it's resolved, as DD is growing pretty fast right now. Any reason to be concerned about her in the gym? Do her coaches need to know? (DD will compete L8 again next season and is working on L8 and L9 stuff in the gym.)

no. no need for concern.

I usually Xray if more that about 7 degrees on the scoliometer.
At 4 deg nothing to worry about, no need to limit activities or tell coaches.
Important during growth to keep an eye on it to see if the angle is increasing.
Usually up to 12 deg, we don't do much.
Some people say chiro can help, but I am not positive that it can really change the course of the angle progression during the rapid growth of puberty.

chiro can NOT change that. :)

My dd has a 25 degree curve and is able to do everything but walkovers. At 4 degrees I would totally not worry about it. Go back in 6 months and see if it has changed. That will be the determining factor as to whether you need to do something or not.

I just posted as my dd has a main 35 degree curve and is 14. She is a second year level 9 and I am so afraid that it's going to get worse. She just got her period 2 months or so ago and the doc said she has three years of growth yet ughhh... But I know a strong back is great for scoliosis... I hope she can continue. Her second curve is 26 she has an s curve

My daughters is now at 43 degree . She will be getting vertebral tethering in June. She is only a risser 1. Although 14 she has lots of growth left. After surgery she will have all of her flexibility when she is healed

My daughters is now at 43 degree . She will be getting vertebral tethering in June. She is only a risser 1. Although 14 she has lots of growth left. After surgery she will have all of her flexibility when she is healed

That is great that she will still have the back flexibility. I know the old surgery often left you with no bend to your back. Good luck!

She is very lucky! She will be out for about 3 months and then she can return to conditioning etc and hopefully she will be back better than ever! Most cases are mild but unfortunately hers progressed so fast!

Yes, she had a measuring instrument, sort of like a level but without any liquid. She just ran it up my DD's spine to measure the degrees off horizontal. I'm thinking it could be as simple as one leg being just a little longer than the other at the moment and that throwing things a bit off kilter. Her bars coach told me once that sometimes they grow one leg at a time.

Wow, Skschlag! Hope it doesn't create any problems!
I have one leg that is longer than the other. When i questioned my ortho about it (I was 35 when i noticed it), before looking, he said it is normal for there to be a slight difference… THEN he looked. Mine is a little bigger than "normal" at about 3/8 inch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back