Parents Scores not matching awards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

claudidoll

Proud Parent
Hey all does it happen often that scores don't match awards? My DD had her first meet last weekend and got 4 silvers and a 5th on beam ( she fell)

Our gym posted the scores and according to that she would have gotten gold on bars

She is young (7) and it was my understanding that they were not releasing scores to parents.

I'm worried she'll see the scores at the gym and tell her friend who got gold that it was really hers... To make matters worse two of her team mates each got too golds and she was so disappointed not to get one. We are working on her being happy for her friends and proud of herself for working her hardest and trying her best.

Well, I wouldn't look at it like they awarded the wrong medal at the meet. Chalk it up to the score was wrong when it was entered to be posted. Honestly, you may never really know where the error occurred so it's best to just go with the medals she was awarded. She's got a loooong way to go, lots of other disappointments to come so it's important that she stays humble. If you worry she will try to take away her friend's glory, tell her the score was posted wrong, which is likely the case.

Well, something similar has happened to each of my DDs once, and I had it fixed. Once at the meet, and once after. We didn't mention to the other kid at the meet or ask them to re announce or anything, but my DD worked as hard as every other kid and deserved her medal that she earned, IMO. I also would never assume the awards were right and the posted scores wrong. I have seen awards go completely afoul (medals given to girls for events that they hadn't even competed) to trust the process implicitly. In the end, does it really matter? No probably not, but I would at least ask.

I also would never assume the awards were right and the posted scores wrong.
At a meet, yes go with the score given to the athlete and make an effort. However, on a spreadsheet-like notification posted on a bulletin board at home gym, prepared by home gym (which I assume is how this was done given that the scores were not delivered during the meet)? No, let it ride, unless you are absolutely certain that the posted score is correct and awards were delivered incorrectly.

Age groups too.

You have a higher score overall but lower score for age group.

And this is one meet.

We still have a meet hanging out there they never posted my daughters vault. based on total it looks like she did horribly. She didn't.

There is also a gym that looks like a high team scorer. Well yes they did well.
But not quite that high. They have 2 girls vault scores as follows; one girl scored a 27, another a 34. Clearly some typos there.

We don't focus on scores here in our house. Its about work and effort.
And we don't bring them up at gym, beyond congratulating everyone.

This is a long road, one meet is a blip.

She did well, leave it at that.

Awards were done by age group so all the 2008's in one category, these are office scores from the meet. Our club just printed the exact file that was emailed out.

They weren't originally issued and the kids and parents were never supposed to see them. We are in Canada and the kids aren't competitive age until 2017 ( I think) so that's why we weren't even supposed to see them.

I'm cool with letting it go :) in fact I'm happy she didn't get gold. She tends to be a touch lazy as things come easily to her and now she has a fire lit under her. And her friends had been having confidence issues and now they are feeling better about the sport so really this is an great outcome for all three of them :)

I just hope the scores are take down before training tomorrow as I would hate for the kids to be confused or upset by them when right now all three are happy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back