Scoring on events

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
How can a parent find out about the code of points. Is there any thing on the internet that can provide information on what kind of points are taken off for specific errors in routines and what they judges are specifically looking to see in the routines. If there is nothing on the internet is there something I can buy that would help me figure out what they are looking for?

I am assuming you're referring to the WAG JO code of points...? If so, the link is below.

2005-2009 code of points

http://usagym.sportgraphics.biz/index.asp?cmd=showproduct&param_0=1117&param_1=11

Women's JO Compulsory Program Text 2005-2013

http://usagym.sportgraphics.biz/index.asp?cmd=showproduct&param_0=1111&param_1=11

However, most judges seem to base their results not only on the code of points and the program text, but also by using their own preferences - something that just varies from coach to coach :)

Last edited:
Thanks Ingymom -

I have been wondering about that as well. I am not sure if I really want to know it all - right now I know basic things that are deducted for ( not necessarily the amount of the deduction) but I am a little afraid that if I know I will be calculating deductions and trying to figure out scores and not just enjoy the show.

S

Thanks Ingymom -

I have been wondering about that as well. I am not sure if I really want to know it all - right now I know basic things that are deducted for ( not necessarily the amount of the deduction) but I am a little afraid that if I know I will be calculating deductions and trying to figure out scores and not just enjoy the show.

S

I personally think it is a waste of $ to purchase these particular items unless you are a coach or judge... I pay the team fee so that my dd's coaches can, well COACH! LOL I leave it up to them to make corrections, I just want to sit back and say "wow, great job"! Besides you just never know what the judges that day are going to want to see...

I did buy the compulsory JO program book from USAG because I wanted the information on the skills and routines. (My DD looks at the pictures in the book and then tried to copy them to learn new skills.) There is deduction information in there but it's not very helpful as most of it says things like "up to .30". Obviously there is a lot of leeway for the judge's personal preferences and on a case-by-case basis.

In general, judges are taking .1 for a small execution error, .2 for a medium error, .3 for a large error, and .5 for a fall. Of course, there can be multiple problems with one particular skill, so a kid can be losing more than .3 on a skill even without falling. Leaving things out of the compulsory routines can be a real score killer because they're supposed to take 1 plus the value of the skill.

In general, judges are taking .1 for a small execution error, .2 for a medium error, .3 for a large error, and .5 for a fall. Of course, there can be multiple problems with one particular skill, so a kid can be losing more than .3 on a skill even without falling. Leaving things out of the compulsory routines can be a real score killer because they're supposed to take 1 plus the value of the skill.

Oh! Now this is helpful! So if they take a tiny false step they'd lose a tenth, a step would cost they .20 and a big step would cost .30. Now I get it! :D

Thanks for the links. I am going to look into it.

Mostly I am just curious exactly what they are looking for. I am the type of person who over researches things. I just really enjoy knowing about things.

To Katrinagymcoach the only specific question I have is that the side of my daughters foot always hits the bars as she does her shoot thru but it doesn't break the momentum of the skill. How much would you take off?

I would be happy to go over routines with you and tell you what deductions I would take...
I had a question about balance beam. My 7 year old L4 is doing an awesome job getting ready for competition to start here in NC, and she's having a great time. Ultimately, that is what is important to me.
However, In the Level 4 beam routine, there is a handstand that she is struggling with.
NOT the handstand before the dismount, but the other one. How much of a deduction is taken if she doesn't get all the way into a handstand? She is getting both feet all the way up, but doing more of a heel click (like in L3), than a "feet together, side by side" real handstand.
She has a beautiful hs on the floor, which she can hold for up to about 10-12 seconds now, and her dismount HS is usually gorgeous too, but she had a fall some time back on this skill and is still "mentally challenged" by it! LOL!
Thanks for your help!
(Leslie) Mini Mac's Mom

How can a parent find out about the code of points. Is there any thing on the internet that can provide information on what kind of points are taken off for specific errors in routines and what they judges are specifically looking to see in the routines. If there is nothing on the internet is there something I can buy that would help me figure out what they are looking for?

I found a site online where you can buy a set of cards that puts the "Compulsory deductions at your finger tips for all SIX LEVELS. These new sets are 8� x 11 in full color--coded by event. Eleven full size cards."

I'm a gymnastics lover from WAY back and want to know everything that's going on, so I finally found these cards. They were developed by 3 Region 8 women as a guide while studying for the Brevet judge course in 1993. They have been developed and updated to be accurate with today's standards and you can order them right online for $12.00.

Hope that helps,
Leslie (Mini Mac's Mom) :D

I am a judge in indiana and I would love to start a service where I would judge your childs gymnastics routine and let you know on what skills I am taking the deductiona and then you could fix them! not sure how to market this or exactly how to go about it. Any ideas?

I am a judge in indiana and I would love to start a service where I would judge your childs gymnastics routine and let you know on what skills I am taking the deductiona and then you could fix them! not sure how to market this or exactly how to go about it. Any ideas?

Why bother going to meets?

I don't know if all states do this - but we actually have a compulsory and optionals judges cup at the beginning of each competition season. I think it is great because each girl gets a packet at the end of the meet from the judges showing where all the deductions came from along with additional comments and suggestions.

My DD's gym does something similiar. They do a mock meet right before optional season starts where we hire a judge to come up and watch the girls routines. She then gives them a range of scores, what should be changed in routines, what is working, etc...

To Katrinagymcoach the only specific question I have is that the side of my daughters foot always hits the bars as she does her shoot thru but it doesn't break the momentum of the skill. How much would you take off?

A light touch of the bar would be .1. A heavier touch that starts to break the momentum of the skill would be .2-.3.

because you don't get to lear your deductions at the meet this would be like to prepare you for meets...like for kids who are capable of scoring high 38's. In indiana state meet in many age brackets AA went to a 38+ AA score

They do not have to hit and hold a full HS in level four. I is a 3/4 HS so as long as her head is correct and she is levering in and out of the HS this should be ok.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back