Scoring Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGymMom

Aug 3, 2008
Northeast
With the gymnastics starting Sunday can someone explain the scoring? Don't laugh....but it's not out of a 10 anymore? :confused:

Is this scoring used for the lower levels? Or is that still out of 10?

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Coach
Former Gymnast
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Lower levels (for girls) are still scored out of 10 in the US.

Here's how the scoring system works:

You get two scores. The first is your execution score. You start with 10, and any execution deductions (ie form breaks, falls, etc) are taken from this score. The second is your difficulty score. There is no solid limit on this score. The harder your routine, the higher this score.

The final score is the total of these two scores.

G

gracefulone

That article makes this easier to understand, but with one flaw that bugs me every time I see it-the last line. A 17 is not comparable to the perfect 10, because a gymnast can score a 'perfect' 17 while having errors in her performance. Take Nastia Liukin for example. Her difficulty on bars is 7.7, so the actual perfect score for that routine would be a 17.7, while Shawn Johnson's perfect 10 on vault would actually be well under a 17.

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
Feb 19, 2007
This article and diagram definitely makes it easier for me to understand as well. Thanks so much

I guess at "17" would be the "magic" number to try to shoot for???

-Lynn

G

gracefulone

Like I said before, the number to shoot for will vary as difficulty values get raised, barriers are broken, and limits are extended. Right now I believe Beth Tweddle of Great Britain has the highest start value on any apparatus-a 17.8 on bars, if she executes her upgrades cleanly. But I could be wrong. I have a feeling it won't be soon before we start seeing 8.0 difficulty values, which would make 18 the new 10. Especially if Nastia's hints at the 2012 Olympics turn out to be a reality. And if He Kexin keeps going too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!