Coaches scroring to go to the next level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
well the gym that I coach at does not require a score to move to the next level but I know of many gyms that do. USAG says no score from 1-3, from 4-7 now 31 and 8-10 34. Our states require a 32 to go to state and if u hope to go to regionals it is 36 for level 7 and 8 but 34 for level 9 and 10. I personally think 31 is too low. I wonder why there is a jump that to move from level 6 to 7 it is only 31 but 8 to 9 is 34. I personally think it should be gradual or event breakdown, like a 8.5 or a 9 on each event. what is everyones exprience with scores and levels? Has it held anyone back? Has it predicted the good gymnasts?

I think the lower score requirement for levels 4-7 is a reflection of the amount of progress an above average kid can make, relative to those levels, in a training cycle. It's very likely that a child working 9 hrs a week with barely a 31.00 can add a level and score comfortably at that new level the following season. Really, there's just not that much "meat on the bone" until a kid gets to, and past, level 7 where the score requirement is set at 34.00. I think that's a reasonable expectation for a L7 kid who wants to move up to L8, and for an L8 who wants to move up to L9. I'd feel more comfortable with a higher score requirement to move from L9 to L10, because that's when kids start to lose traction and get discouraged.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back