Parents Second metatarsal fracture

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My DD just got diagnosed with a slightly displaced second metatarsal fracture. Not even a gym accident-- just whacked it on a chair. We got the diagnoses at urgent care and now need to see an ortho. I'm not seeking medical advice, but would love to hear any experiences? Anyone had this? Did you end up with a boot? A cast? (She hates the idea of a cast as a wrist cast for a broken finger landed her with wrist issues) How long to heal? What could they do? In gym and out? First meet of her L. 8 season is next week-- in Hawaii. We have flights booked for all six of us! We'll still go and support her teammates and have a limited activity vacation but I have one very sad panda :( Just looking for stories for her (and me) that there will be a light at the end of yet another tunnel.

Poor kid!! That’s awful. Hopefully she can still practice bars? Maybe she’ll get some cool new skill! Good luck! Enjoy the sun at least....

I am so sorry that she is injured and will miss the meet. :( I hope she recovers quickly and can salvage the season!

Just a curiosity about the meet in HI, do the coaches try to market it as anything other than a vacation type meet? Like, do they say it's necessary to have some high level competition, etc.? I've always wondered about the meet in the Bahamas, etc., if coaches try to explain it that way. I'd love to attend personally, if finances weren't an issue---and I know my daughter would love nothing better than to go to Hawaii with her teammates, but it seems like such an unnecessary expense in a sport that's already so expensive!

That just stinks! So sorry for your daughter. Injury is no fun, especially at the beginning of the season and at what sounds like what would normally be such a fun vacation-style meet. Hope she heals quickly. If it's any comfort, you know that many have been through this, the longer you stay in the game unfortunately...

I'm so sorry. My daughter was also supposed to do level 8 and was diagnosed with grade 3 stress reactions in 3 foot bones. Not even breaks! Stress reactions. She was casted for 8 weeks bc the boot wasn't cutting it at all. She got out of her cast in November, and it has just been a beast of a recovery due to the calf atrophy and tightness. They had to cast her though because the foot continued to swell and was very painful even in the boot. I will give her this though...her bars are terrific! Just still having lots of difficulty punching still and is still doing PT. It has been a huge bummer because she did so great as a level 7 and had all of her level 8 skills prior to getting diagnosed with this injury. I would try to get as much refunded as you can for the meet. Sometimes the airline will let you pay a fee to use the tickets towards another destination. I'm probably not helping much, but I do think because of the location of my daughter's injury which was the top of the foot, the recovery has been harder than what your daughter will experience. I sure hope that's the case!!

Mine is finishing up her time in a boot for a cuboid fracture (so not metatarsal but one of the little bones between the metatarsals and ankle. She has been in boot for 5 weeks. She was totally non weight bearing for 4, and is now walking in the boot for a week, then will transition to practices in shoes and then barefoot. So a total of 6-7 weeks before full practice, which I think is pretty normal for that type of fracture.

I’m sorry your daughter is injured and I hope the time goes quickly!

Oh no, so sorry to hear that your DD is going through this. First week of September my DD was diagnosed with minor stress reaction at the first metatarsal. She was 4 weeks no loading on that foot. (Jumping, etc). She probably went 6 weeks all said and done. She did a lot of strap bar and some tumble track. When she came back it was slooowly. Even then she had a flare up a few weeks after returning to full practice. It has been frustrating to say the least, but she is now back in business and ready (with much improved bars) for level 7.

Oh i am so sorry! :( Your dd has been through a lot with these darn injuries. How is she holding up, and is there any chance of her competing at all this season?

Thank you all for your input and wishes! She is in a boot, likely six weeks, no weight bearing. Sending healing fairies to the rest of your kiddos out with foot injuries. We are off to Hawaii to get some Vitamin D and cheer her team mates :)

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back