Sectionals tomorrow, fairies???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It sounds like your DD is doing so well. It is too bad that they are putting pressure on her to quit track. You must be proud that she is accomplishing so much, and learning how to keep herself focused with so much going on.

DD's coach wants a girl on L5 to quite lacrossee. She may end up quitting gym instead because at this age she wants to be able to try different things. I understand that the coach may feel like if they are putting that much time into a kid they don't want to see outside activities interfere, but it really puts the kids in a tough position. Coach has a limit on the number of girls she will take, and feels if they can't fully commit, she would like to give that spot to someone who will.

Congrats to your DD on her beam score/routine. Sounds like she is peaking with it at just the right time!

Hi GJM!! Ugh--that sucks that they are pressuring her to quit track. It seems like she really loves track and is doing so well at it!!! Maybe she can cut down on the track practices before States but I wouldn't think that quitting outright is necessary. Remember--you are in charge of your dd and you guys should have the final say in what she does. Keep us posted!!!

Well, gjm, once again I am just not liking those coaches of your dd's! If spending a little 'outside of gym time' doing track helped your dd, then her coaches should be happy. As we all know, MOST of the battle w/ this sport is in the MIND of the gymnast!

If she had NOT done track and as a result, been so much happier, balanced, confident, etc., she probably would NOT have done as well as she did at this last gym meet. Doing track helped her thru some of her mental blocks & raised her confidence level. A little 'sap' of energy at a meet pales in comparison to having no confidence at a meet. And according to you, Mom, who knows her best, she is not tired.

I do realize that coaches often dislike their gymnasts doing other sports, and they do have the right to express their opinion. But YOU know what's best for your dd, and you do not have to listen to him. Now he's got her head all muddled-up again, and she has states to train for. Way to go, dude.

I say, keep her in track, and let her enjoy her life, for gosh sakes! So what if her scores will POSSIBLY go down .1-.3 or so!? Life is so much more than a few tenths of a score at a gym meet.

Ok, sorry! I'm off my soapbox now :eek:!

Good luck and I am sorry this is happening. ((((HHUUGGSS)))!!!

Thanks you guys! I swear her coach makes me crazy!!! Don't know why she likes him?!? He literally can be 2 different people sometimes. When I 1st had a meeting with him about her doing track, he was very supportive, even recommended a new store to buy her track shoes at!?! She has been doing well in BOTH things. She really is making it work. Now that her confidence level is up...he has to mess with her head!?! I really think she can continue to do both. States are in 2 weeks & track is over in 3 weeks. Then her full focus can be back at gym for up training. I think if she cuts down on track practice a few days prior to states, that's all she needs to do. Even if she quits track there's no guarantee that she'll be a state champ this year. She's already come so far this season...why can't HC just be happy for her. Just her progress & the fact that she even stuck with gym during the tough times should been enough for him. But no...he'll push her right back into her mental blocks:mad:. He has never been able to handle her mental blocks properly. We know she has the skills, she was just stressed about doing them "perfectly", that she wouldn't even go for them. So now that she's doing them "well"...is not the time to pressure her AT ALL. He needs to just keep letting her doing what she's doing, to continue to building her confidence. Telling her she did a great job on the beam would be a good start for him too...but he never congratulates her:(. She doesn't have track today, so she'll have some down time prior to gym practice. I'll see how tonight goes.

Last edited:
Yes, please do tell us how things progress. I hope your dd can brush him off and enjoy herself, despite his giving her a hard time! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back