Parents Self Fundraiser?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, all! Hope everyone's gymmies are having a fun & safe season.

I haven't been around, as much, lately. It's been a difficult year. My husband is ill so I've had to work more out of the home. And haven't had too much time to chat with you all. I have checked in from time to time to read to see how everyone is doing, though!

Times are really tough as we do not have the income we were accustomed to. But I know times are tough for all right now. So I was brainstorming...

Pixie was wanting to go to gym camp this summer but I feel guilty even thinking about it.

So I've been trying to come up with ways to justify paying for camp. Thought I'd run this by you all as I value the excellent advice that is given here.

I was thinking of having a garage sale to help cushion our income. I thought I'd let Pixie keep all the money from her toys, movies, clothes etc., that sell. And also let her set up a table to sell drinks and cookies, I'd let her keep all the proceeds from that too. So, whatever she makes from that she could use toward gym camp.

She could sell bottled water for a dollar a bottle and we could make cookies and sell a bag of say 3 or so for $$1.00 or 2.00/bag.

You can get a 24 case of bottle water for $3.00+ so that would almost be a $20.00 profit. Same with cookies you could buy the ready to bake cookies cheap and bag them with some curly ribbon...

What do you all think of this? yea or nay?

I'd love to hear of other ideas!

I know not sending her is an option too. But if we can make it work, I'd like to try.

you might try selling her old leos on ebay. i just sold 4 of Alex's and made 97.00. Also any of her old clothes can be sold on ebay too. Easier than a garage sale!!

I think that's a great idea. I remember setting up a lemonade stand when I was a kid and being thrilled when someone would stop and buy a cup...I'm sure it was more due to the cuteness of it but I bet that would work for Pixie! I think selling her toys, and drinks & cookies is a great idea though.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that it's nothing too serious. :(

I did think of selling some old leos but they're pretty trashed, lol! The foil is rubbed & dull on some, rhinestones missing on others. I don't know how much I'd get for them. Do you think they'll sell better as a group of old workout leos? Or individually for cheap?

I'm still going to do a garage sale. I have some antiques and lots of toys and junk my kids have outgrown. I feel like I'm being buried in my house with things we don't need! ha!

I think that's a great idea. I remember setting up a lemonade stand when I was a kid and being thrilled when someone would stop and buy a cup...I'm sure it was more due to the cuteness of it but I bet that would work for Pixie! I think selling her toys, and drinks & cookies is a great idea though.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that it's nothing too serious. :(

Aw, thank you! His illness isn't life threatening. Just chronic. I do appreciate the sentiment!

I know this isn't the question you asked, but if you are considering one of the big sleep away gym camps, it's such a lot of money for what most kids usually get out of it, another option might be to let her use the money she earns to buy some privates from her favorite coach if your gym does privates. A few privates spread over the summer would still be fun and special without breaking the bank.​

Very sorry to hear about your husband and hope he's doing better soon. Which camp are you thinking of? I agree with Nevertooold that the big sleepover camps like IGC, Woodward are quite pricey and efforts to sell lemonade may fall rather short of their tuition. And yes, its a fun time, but overall in 1 week most kids don't learn lots of new skills--rather work on the skills they have. Personally, in tough financial times, I would just put the money in the bank to use toward her gym expenses.
Do you have any colleges cloxe by that have gymnastics teams? They usually have summer camps and if you do the commuter option then its less money.

On your questions about the leos, I would sell them together.

Pixie's gym doesn't do privates. So we would not be able do that. Though, I think that's a wonderful idea and would love that if it were an option.

The camp that we were looking into is at a nearby University. They are one of the teams in The SEC and have a stellar gymnastics program. Also, they have a low coach to gymnast ratio. But I would not feel comfortable letting her do the sleepover thing. So, it would only be as a day camper. The price is $350 for the week, for the day camper. It's in the next state over but only an 1:45 drive. We have family in the area so we would stay with them.

You might see if there is a consignment store nearby (like on Cash and Cari on HGTV) . They may be able to give you a fair estimation of the price for your antiques or may have buyers looking for certain pieces. I love the idea of cookies etc, be sure to put up a sign that the money will go towards gymnastics summer camp. She might even have up a sign, "will flip for $1" have a mat out and let her do a simple gym move. I am much more likely to give if I know what the money is going for. Another thought is to have her be a "rent a kid" to help people at church or family members with household projects, again advertising that the money will go toward camp.

Pixie's gym doesn't do privates. So we would not be able do that. Though, I think that's a wonderful idea and would love that if it were an option.

The camp that we were looking into is at a nearby University. They are one of the teams in The SEC and have a stellar gymnastics program. Also, they have a low coach to gymnast ratio. But I would not feel comfortable letting her do the sleepover thing. So, it would only be as a day camper. The price is $350 for the week, for the day camper. It's in the next state over but only an 1:45 drive. We have family in the area so we would stay with them.

This camp sounds perfect and your dd should be able to make some money to contribute at her lemonade stand. Good luck and hope the camp can work out for her!

I think if you post all the leos together on ebay even if not perfect you will get more for them than you would trying to sell them at a garage sale or consignment shop! That has been my experience! On Ebay you have so many more people that are looking at your items. If you describe them accuratley and post pictures you will have no problems!!
I also like the idea posted above "Will Flip for $1.00". Easy way to make a few extra dollars at your garage sale!!

Two summers age ALex went to gym camp at South East Missouri State here in Missouri. She slept over and had the best time! She would love to go back!! Hope you DD is able to go!

We had great success with a garage sale a year ago. The girls set up a stand as well. Also have a jar that says donations for my gym camp fund. People will gladly put money in.
I am a photographer on the side so I earned the camp fee for 2 girls this way. Do you all do anything like that? What about her making pot holders and selling those? We sold some of those as well. They went quickly.

Hope that you guys can raise enough money for her to go to that camp. Sounds like it would be a great time for her!! Good luck. And hope things with your hubby's medical condition get better soon.

I think its a great idea. Get DD involved in the getting the junk together and pricing the items to sell too. I wouldn't do more than $1 for bottled water. you might want to consider soda too as you can get big cases at BJ's, Sam's, Costco's etc. for cheap money and sell those at a profit too. If you are going to do a snack bar/drinks type thing Bake some trreats. Mixes are cheap and you and DD can have some great bonding time making them and packaging them up to sell. Nothing like a fresh brownie, cookie or cupcake. Maybe get a box of coffee from Dunkin Donuts too.

The yard sale is a great idea. We made over $1000 a few years back when we moved into our home. Anything that didn't get unpacked or didn't fit in the new house was sold. You need to pick a good weekend. Usually a nice warm day at the start of spring when everyone is going to be just driving around is a good choice. I've actually found Mother's day to be a great day - we live near a garden center and everyone is out and about getting garden flowers etc for some reason on that day around here so they stop in the yard sale too. List it on Craigs List too - you would be surprised how many people check that for the local yardsales coming up.

I love the idea of cookies etc, be sure to put up a sign that the money will go towards gymnastics summer camp. She might even have up a sign, "will flip for $1" have a mat out and let her do a simple gym move.
I adore this idea! Thank you for your wisdom :)

We had great success with a garage sale a year ago. The girls set up a stand as well. Also have a jar that says donations for my gym camp fund. People will gladly put money in.
I think I will do that as well, thanks!

I think its a great idea. Get DD involved in the getting the junk together and pricing the items to sell too. I wouldn't do more than $1 for bottled water. you might want to consider soda too as you can get big cases at BJ's, Sam's, Costco's etc. for cheap money and sell those at a profit too. If you are going to do a snack bar/drinks type thing Bake some trreats. Mixes are cheap and you and DD can have some great bonding time making them and packaging them up to sell. Nothing like a fresh brownie, cookie or cupcake. Maybe get a box of coffee from Dunkin Donuts too.

The yard sale is a great idea. We made over $1000 a few years back when we moved into our home.
The thought of brownies didn't even enter my brain. Not sure why, lol!
But this sounds much better than cookies. Brownies it is!

I think with all the things that I'd be able to offer I could make close to that. I have an antique sofa and also an antique settee & matching chair. These 3 items could bring in quite a bit, I think. I plan to submit a garage sale notice in the paper and I like your craigslist idea. My location would also help in bringing lots of traffic.

This is why I value the opinion here...it never fails the advice given here is always so wonderful! Thank you ladies!! :)

I am so glad you got some new ideas. Please let us know how it goes.

As a gym auntie I can't give much advice so it's nice to be appreciated.

Good Luck with your sale, she will remember the week at camp and it would be a fun break for both you and your daughter. My prayers are with your family as you deal with illness it is so hard on both the family and the patient.

I think with all the things that I'd be able to offer I could make close to that. I have an antique sofa and also an antique settee & matching chair. These 3 items could bring in quite a bit, I think.

If the antique stuff is in good shape and worth a chunk of change, you might want to consider putting the items in an auction. There would be auction fees to pay but you might get more money than you would at a yard sale.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back