Seperate Ages in Competitions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
How do they seperate the ages at most gym meets you attend?

Here we have:
Argo (7, 8 and 9year olds usually based on year though)
Tyro ( again based on year but usually 10 and 11 year olds)
Novice (based on year but usually 12 and 13 year olds)
Open (based on year but usually anywhere from 14-17, but sometimes there are 22 year olds or older could compete in this catagory but usually 17 is the oldest we have)

How do they seperate it, do they make it all equal or is it set for all competitions?

Often if one group is really big here (40+) they break it down further into the year born.

we do the same but argo is only 9 year olds. so it goes:

argo - 9 years
tyro - 10 and 11
novice - 12 and 13
open - 14+

And then there is leap which is any age from 6 to 9 I think. And there is national novice, open, junior, and senior.

In Australia they don't tend to separate ages very much. Most competitions its just everyone in together who are the same level. Level 7-10 are never separated. But level 1-6 are sometimes separated into two separate age groups.

Level 1 - under 7 and open
Level 2 - under 8 and open
Level 3 under 9 and ope
Level 4 under 10 and open
Level 5 under 11 and open
Level 6 under 12 and open

Its based on the age they are on the 1st of january that year and they stay in the same division all year.

Same as the OP.

If the groups are larger than 38 they will split it for provincial comps, though we have been in groups over 40! They never split by age, purely by club and randomly!

we do the same but argo is only 9 year olds. so it goes:

argo - 9 years
tyro - 10 and 11
novice - 12 and 13
open - 14+

And then there is leap which is any age from 6 to 9 I think. And there is national novice, open, junior, and senior.

Yea actually i think that is what it is like here i just couldnt remember how old you had to be to compete oops. Are you from the western part of canada or more of the ontario region?

Argo- 7,8,9
Tyro- 10,11
Novice- 12,13
Novice 2- 14+
But, depending on when your birthday is, you go with the one you were in last year if you were in the older age group of it, if that makes sense. I'll give you an example of what will happen to me I believe- If you competed Tyro last year as an 11 year old, you would compete in it the full year, even when you turn 12. I'm not quite sure though, can someone verify this? Hope I helped.

Here in the UK we basically have two groups:
In age and Out of age.
It basically works that Level 4 is for 9 year olds, Level 3 is for 10 year olds, Level 2 is for 11 year olds, Espoir is for 12-13 year olds Junior Elite 14-15 and then obviously Senior Elite. In the Levels if you're in the age group you compete in age and if you're up to two years above the age (I think that's right :) ) you compete Out of age. Espoir is only for 12-13 year olds but there is also a competition called the Espoir Challenge which is less competitive.

Bog: Just heard last night that the Ontario system is changing again! No more Ontario Cup, separating age groups by each year through to Level 7, top 32 advance to Ontario Championships or Elite Ontario for the upper levels. So it has pretty much gone back to the way it used to be.

Bog: Just heard last night that the Ontario system is changing again! No more Ontario Cup, separating age groups by each year through to Level 7, top 32 advance to Ontario Championships or Elite Ontario for the upper levels. So it has pretty much gone back to the way it used to be.

I am happy with that, Separating by year of birth evens things out nicely Plus I found the Ontario Cup was really tough on girls who had three great qulifiers then had a rough Cup comp. I really thought that the qualifiers were enough.

We have the same dumb system in Quebec, the top 48 after 3 qulifiers gor to the cup, and then the top 32 go to Provincials. NOt very sensible.

I wish they would make our divisions by yera of birth, the huge range of ages is tough and the groups huge. We had 350 girls in the P2 Tyro group this year, and 32 go to Provincials. NUTS!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back