Serious Backhandspring Troubles!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had my backhandspring last summer because I was the only one who signed up for the summer class. So, I basically got private lessons.

But now, I can't get it. We do backhandsprings every day, but I can't do them!

I'm not scared. But every time, everything goes wrong. My legs split wide open in the air. I "crouch" instead of "sit in a chair" at the beginning. I pause too long before I "spring" off of my feet. I do it super-slow. I throw my head back. I bend my elbows. My feet aren't pointed. And on and on and on...and so, every time, I land on my behind, not on my feet.

And when the coach tells me to fix something, I focus so hard on fixing that one skill that everything else that can go wrong, goes wrong.

Can you possibly tell me how to fix some of those mistakes listed above, like my legs far apart and the pause and throwing my head back? I always throw my head back, according to my coaches, but I don't even know what that means...

Thank you!

I have seen my DD's coach give them a sponge to squeeze between their ankles. It may let you focus on something else at the same time.

Hi! Are you talking about your bhs on the floor or beam?

When they say you are throwing your head back, they mean that you are throwing it back too soon. At some point you must tilt your head back to spot your hands and the floor, but you need to wait to do this until you have jumped into the air. A good rule is to not tilt your head back until after your arms come up over your head.

okay. this was happening to me a couple years ago when I first got my back handspring. What I did was, I got a spot, even though i could do it on my own. When you get a spot, it helps you concentrate on the things wrong with the skill, rather than doing the actual skill. Good luck!!! :D

I always used to throw my head back. Even if it sounds silly, you really need to bite your Leo while doing the bhs. It really helps. Also, have someone spot you or do it over a barrel to get the right form.

LiveLoveTumble: I've been told that too, but when my coaches told me that, I focused so much on staring at my hands that my hands missed the ground and I landed on my stomach. :(

Can you go back to doing them on the tumble trak or down a wedge until you fix your form? Backing all the way up and doing them over a barrel is probably a good idea too. You need to retrain your muscle memory to do it the proper way. Otherwise you'll just get really good at doing it wrong.

Cazoon: Bite my leo? Umm, okay! Haha...our gym does not have barrells, and I do get a spot, I would break something if I didn't...:(

Teena82: I do them with a spot on wedge mat. Sometimes, though, I get so used to the wedge that when the coaches spot me on floor, the ground comes sooner than I think and I almost crash onto the ground, but I don't thanks to the coaches' spots! And thanks for the advice. :)

Worry about the biggest corrections first, such as bending your elbows before pointing your toes--do it over and over again with straight elbows until it comes automatically. Then worry about the next thing, and you won't have to make sure that your elbows are straight anymore. Eventually, you will only have to worry about pointed toes and silly things that should be easy to correct.

If the ground is coming too quickly, my experience is that your not jumping at the proper angle and need to jump higher.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back