Parents Severs & Shots?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Hi, it's been a long time since I've pocked my head in here! I haven't even lurked...I missed it!

I had a questions and thought of you'all first!

My daughter has severs and the podiatrist offered shots if nothing else seems to be working. . . nothing else seems to be working.

Has anyone tried shots for severs? How long did it last? Did it hurt?

She had a nice start to the season and her heels are starting to bother her - she requested we try the shots. but I want to make sure it's worth it. I assume a shot into your foot hurts! If it only lasts a few weeks it's not worth it. If it lasts a season . . . . it's worth it

Thanks is advance!

Debbie

How much time has your gymmie spent with complete rest? Consider a boot for a few weeks if the severs is that bad (if modified workout, ice and physical therapy isn't working) and see how that works. 2 weeks in a boot had my dd back in the gym full speed ahead. NO SHOTS for severs, in my honest opinion.

I would recommend contacting Dr. Josh at The X Brace, Arch Support for Gymnasts | Gymnast Care I am not affiliated with this company or him, but we have a lot of gymnasts in our gym that wear the xbrace for severs. It really seems to help. Also, he has great articles on his website regarding home care for severs, stretching the calf, etc. I would check it out. He is pretty helpful.

Thank you so much. I ordered the x brace...it's worth a try. We've tried several heel cups, creams, sprays, rest, nothing seems to work for long. We even got something that was designed to stretch the calf...rocking sort of thing. No one could figure out how to use it! It just did nothing for her. Here's hoping this works. Also going to try icing like he describes.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

Thank you so much. I ordered the x brace...it's worth a try. We've tried several heel cups, creams, sprays, rest, nothing seems to work for long. We even got something that was designed to stretch the calf...rocking sort of thing. No one could figure out how to use it! It just did nothing for her. Here's hoping this works. Also going to try icing like he describes.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

Cool. I hope it works for her! He has some great info on his website. I have read some great articles there. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks, unfortunately, Rest doesn't seem to make a difference for her. As soon as she's back it flares up again.

One of my gymnasts (was treated early) had 'needling' done by the physio that helped her. This is the best bit of advice/info I have seen about severs for gymnasts.
Severs Disease heel pain.wmv - YouTube

Edited to add that my gymnast also had stretching and strengthening activities as well as icing immediately after training. She was also advised to warm up (running etc) with sneakers. It cleared up really fast which was a great relief for the gymnast, mother and coach.

I would stay away from cortisone injections for a child. Yes, they hurt---alot. When my gymmie had her worst pain from Severs a coach suggested soaking her feet in warm water(her dd who was training elite had done the same thing with relief). She did it every night(not just after practice) and it did help.
Hey, that costs no money to try, but do it for 4-5 days before giving up on it.

WHOO HOO! I don't want to jinx it but . . . the X brace seems to be helping. It still hurts with certain moves - but it's getting better and tolerable!

THANKS ! ! ! !

AND . . . that little thing is washable and doesn't stink like the cheeta brace

WHOO HOO! I don't want to jinx it but . . . the X brace seems to be helping. It still hurts with certain moves - but it's getting better and tolerable!

How does your gymmie keep the X brace from slipping off? My dd tried it but she complained that it kept slipping down the back of her foot near her heel every time she would run or jump so she gave up on it. :(

Here's our experience with Severs.

DD had a pretty bad ankle sprain. In a boot for a while. We found an orthopedist we really liked and they sent us to PT who was a former gymnast who really seemed to know what was going on and she had her working glutes and balance besides strengthening her ankle. She had her doing calf extensions multiple times a day. Soon after recovering from the ankle she developed Severs.

We went back to the PT before returning to the doctor. Former gymnast PT was gone, but another PT we had met and liked told her that no matter whatever anyone said, "Do not stretch the injury because that would cause more damage. If they tell you to stretch, fake it." After another week we went back to the orthopedist, who said to stretch. Also, watching the much linked to youtube video we did stretch. After three more weeks of heavy pain during vault and tumbling days, I had to talk to my DD about verbalizing better what was going on with the coach so she didn't over do it. My DD is tough and wouldn't complain, so her coach would just end up giving her a hard time about her elevation on tumbling. I try to stay out of the middle.

This kept her from injuring it worse but it never got better. Finally, last weekend she went to my wife's massage therapist. He said her calves were extremely tight and worked on them. The next day my DD was amazed how much flexibility she had back in her ankles. This week she describes her pain as a 1 out of 10. We are thrilled.

We are obviously trial by error. But I am wondering if the calf extensions from the therapy caused the Severs and what everyone's thoughts are.

I just wanted to add that my daughter's orthopedic advised her to never go bare foot, other than in the gym. He said she should wear her gym shoes all the time when she is at home too and no flip flops! He also gave some interesting advice that when selecting gym shoes you should bend them in half (bend the top toe end to the back) and if they easily bend in the middle, then they will not provide sufficient support. If they bend only towards the end by the toes, rather than in the middle, then that is a good choice. He also gave her arch supports to wear in all of her shoes and she does ice a lot too. She has had definite improvement so it may be worth checking out the shoes being worn.

How does your gymmie keep the X brace from slipping off? My dd tried it but she complained that it kept slipping down the back of her foot near her heel every time she would run or jump so she gave up on it. :(

I agree, you probably have one a size to big. I noticed she occasionally adjusts it but it seems to stay on for an entire floor routine . . beam work out. I think she's adjusting because she's not 100% use to it . . and she was in between sizes. I opted to go up rather then chance it being to small.

so far - - - so good

ooh, I'm curious about the x-brace too. DD has the Cheetah cup and I'm not sure it's really helping.

Try the x brace. She's been using that cheetah cup thing for over a year with very little change . . besides the thing stinks up her bag and has to be replaced every few weeks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back